Buying Guide/Advice please!

mjc23

Reaction score
Well i'm looking to change to a B6 A4 and wanted some help or advice on anything to look for when buying.

What i definately want;
* Saloon
* 1.8t (190)
* Quattro
* S-Line
* Nothing over 65/70k miles

What i'd like (wishful thinking!);
* Half leather / alcantara seats
* Probably blue or black colour but would compramise
* Audi sat nav would be pretty pleasing too but don't know how likely.
* New rs4 style alloys.

I appreciate i prob wont be able to get all that stuff but i'm looking somewhere between 7-9k spending. But what should i be looking out for, any know problems with B6 around 50/60k milage?

Thanks,

hi
at that mileage a cambelt change will be looming and is VERY expensive, i assume that there are several guys on here which will be along shortly to say the same,most with more knowledge on the subject and will advise you of costs.
it states that it isnt due till 80,000 miles i think but everyone advises sooner.

The B6 S-Lines were all 190 1.8t and they all had half leather. They all had 18" Five Arm wheels. The Quattros will be 6 speed.

HTH

BUB

Sorry i meant the s-line kit, dont know if that makes a difference as ive seen some with full leather, some with healf leather half fabric, just fabric but have only seen one with half alcantara half leather so i'm guessing that ones a bit harder to find

Thanks for the heads up on the cam belt. Still looking for a 1.8t. Might be persuaded to the frWD instead on the quattro but can't make my mind up. What can i expect from each one? Thanks again

Coilpacks have a tendency of dying so make sure they have been replaced or you keep a spare set just in case one or two go. Theyre an easy fix and cost around £25.00 each. Ive replaced all mine after two failed at the same time.

Thanks, is there much difference in the mpg between the quattro and FrWD?

Thanks, i'm going to be going for the 1.8t petrol but i'm guessing there'd be a similar difference.

Have you looked at pav-g's car, unless its sold now!

Just to put my 2 peneth in.

We changed our golf gt tdi 130 2003 last year to the 190 avant we own now.

I chose the FWD version as I think 190 bhp is not too much for a FWD, the car still fees sure footed (even in the wet) this will obviously depend on your driving technique & the tyres you choose, I use pilot sports which are fairly expensive but last well and give plenty of grip. I would say try the Quattro and see what you think.

My wife has a 2006 A3 TDI 140 s-line which produces much more torque & that feels fine in the wet.

I run the car on 99 octane fuel from Tesco and no matter what anybody says it makes a difference. (The manual states use at least 98ron)

I had my first coil pack failure a few weeks ago; I was within walking distance of an Audi dealer & got a coil pack for £27 & will always keep a spare. Easy to diagnose & change.

Even with all the bad press regarding tax brackets/petrol car prices falling/credit crunch i'm still pleased I bought this car, when I drove my old car last wk end it felt a million miles away from the Audi.

+ These 1.8 T engines are the easiest/cheapest to tune if that’s your bag.

I chose the FWD version as I think 190 bhp is not too much for a FWD, the car still fees sure footed (even in the wet) this will obviously depend on your driving technique & the tyres you choose, I use pilot sports which are fairly expensive but last well and give plenty of grip. I would say try the Quattro and see what you think.

My wife has a 2006 A3 TDI 140 s-line which produces much more torque & that feels fine in the wet.

I run the car on 99 octane fuel from Tesco and no matter what anybody says it makes a difference. (The manual states use at least 98ron)

I had my first coil pack failure a few weeks ago; I was within walking distance of an Audi dealer & got a coil pack for £27 & will always keep a spare. Easy to diagnose & change.

Even with all the bad press regarding tax brackets/petrol car prices falling/credit crunch i'm still pleased I bought this car, when I drove my old car last wk end it felt a million miles away from the Audi.

Ill second that

Could i ask how much difference you found in the overall fuel economy going from the TDI to the 1.8T ?? Is the Petrol a thirsty beast ??

I got a shock when I went from a 1.8T Golf GTi to my 1.8T Quattro A3 alright - Quattros are horrifically bad on fuel. There is all the extra weight of the rear drive train + the extra power needed to drive four wheels rather than two.

My A3 was a 2001 180bhp Quattro sport and used to return 28mpg on a good run and 19mpg around town.

i've the 163 fwd and mine does an average of 30 - 32 in normal use, if I drive like my gran would I get close to 40, but booting it around can push it down to 22!

It seems to be easy to achieve good mpg in normal daily driving and long run mileage is really quite terrific. I get 415 miles on average from a tank (£70) of tesco 99 ron super.

On 95 ron crappy unleaded its mileage is worse id say, more like 380 to a tank, so the mpg difference isnt huge, but the engine has more torque and runs smoother and quieter on 99, and I swear I can hear pinking sometimes on 95 ron going thru 3rd, so I avoid it at all costs now unless im forced to put some in to make it to payday or a better petrol station etc (not all the ones round my way even sell super)

Under inflated front tyres (< 30psi) causes understeer sliding on wet roundabouts if any power is applied, but at 32 to 34 psi the ride is rock hard and very annoying on an imperfect road, tho it really sharpens up the steering and grip. This also makes a difference to apparent performance away from a junction etc and affects the fuel consumption too.

If your after a 1.8T 190 (6) check mine in the classifieds. Although it has 77Kmiles it has FSH and it is 2WD which is all you need. (cheaper tax & fuel bills).:blackrs4:

Good luck with the sale Gaz, its a wierd market out there what with recession knocking on the door. Eventually sold mine for a loss, funny thing is didnt matter how far and wide I advertised it, someone from same street bought it. However, im a little addicted to logging on to this forum whenever pc's on considering Im reverting back to BMW. Darn things the X5's still seem to be holding their value.

Well, you could always go and do a test drive in a 2.5 TDi - I usually get around 35mpg doing a mix of town and motorway driving....on a run I usually get 41mpg which is pretty good for a quattro....the wife seems to eek out even more mpg than me....but she is a much more careful driver.
Mine is the 180bhp quattro version, with 6 speed box. The 2.5 TDi FWD 163 BHP version should do better mpg and not get thru so may tires (mine average 15K a corner).
I have a couple of gripes...the cambelt change is around £400 to £500 (includes cambelt tensioners & water pump) and next year the road tax (211grms/km) is £300 beer vouchers...which is only 1.5 tank fill ups more than it is now I s'pose....

Other than that its ****** BRILLIANT :)