Buying from the forum classifieds.....or not as the case may be!

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So it goes like this,

I see an ad in the classifieds for something that is on my wish list
It's from a long term member
I make an offer by PM
The seller accepts that offer
I make arrangements to collect and rearrange my day to suit
The seller doesn't mark up the ad as "provisionally sold"
A few members express a strong interest
The seller goes to ground and stops replying to my texts
The ad is removed.

Am I missing something here or have I been gazumped and the seller has sold to a higher bidder.
It's one thing to go back on a deal, but at least man up and let me know so I'm not left hanging all Saturday

Rant over :rage:

No money changed hands so no issue there and tbh I don't even think the item would fit my car. Even so I was prepared to do a 120 mile round trip to collect because I had agreed to buy it.

Your fault I'm afraid, don't agree a price over the phone, however far away you are.

Your fault I'm afraid, don't agree a price over the phone, however far away you are.
So how would you buy from the classifieds? Price was agreed by PM and collection provisionally arranged for the weekend.. I fail to see how it's my fault if the seller goes back on the agreement. Surely there is an element of trust involved when using the classifieds from both sides?

Surely there is an element of trust involved when using the classifieds from both sides?
I would treat anyone selling jn the classifieds (unless I know them personally) as a stranger,all paypal transactions should be for goods so you have back up.

I am with the OP on this one, its a bit ****** to agree to sell something and then go back on it without letting the buyer know, gentleman's agreement and all that.
I like to think the vast majority of our members are more respectable than that.

Reactions: Jake 61, jojo, -Ju- and 1 other person
I'm old school, if I want to buy a car I'll scan the ads and go and see it, if I want it I put an offer forward and usually haggle a bit, pay the dosh and drive it home.
As you found out Ju, dealing over the phone goes wrong, I rest my case.