Buying An Sd Sat Nav Off Ebay

RichardT

Reaction score
I haven't spec'd the sat nav for my new car, because I could not justify the cost really. Only use one occasionally and have a perfectly good Navman.
However I just noticed that there are loads for sale on eBay for between £70 and £150.
What's the story. Some say they have an activation code with them (generally the more expensive ones). Some say "may need an activation code" - sounds a bit iffy.
But I can't imagine that they are being sold if they don't work - there are quite a few on there.
if I can get a card and get it working for this sort of price, it sounds like an ideal Christmas present.

Seems like this is an ideal question to all you experts out there.

From what I have read you can get the card, but need to go to the dealer to activate - whether or not they charge the full whack or a discounted price is not known. I don't think you can bypass the dealer either due to the security to activate the card.

Though I don't understand why people are selling them?

I don't think there's any easy way round it. But if there is some one on here will know.

I did spend some time searching the treads on here for more info. There was at least one poster who said that a garage will charge an activation fee of about £120 (can't remember the exact figure) for a card bought of eBay.
But neither he nor anyone else I can find has said they have actually done it!!
But someone must buy the cards or they wouldn't be easily available in numbers on eBay.

Like several other options, the car has to be connected to the main Audi computer system in Germany in order for these options to be activated. I had this done on mine for free at a dealer after sales evening run at my dealers. They connected it up and activated the extra menu on the ACC to allow me to set the default distance to 1 rather than 2. It took around 15 minutes to complete the process.

Paid £399 all in for my SD Nav.

Decided too late to spec it after the order was locked. Dealer did me a deal and gave me the card at a slight discount which included activation.

Think standard price was £499 for the card and £119 labour to activate it. The activation code has to be entered in by the dealer and I doubt it would be done for free unless you do it before collection like me.

I looked on Ebay too and it was the more expensive versions that were correct that are have an activation code and an SD card. It's not really an option you can do on the cheap.....