1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Breezey, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Breezey

Breezey Member

Hi guys,

New to the forum, im sorry if this has been asked a million times but im looking to buy an S3,

1) what do i need to look out for in terms of common problems etc

2) Engine code, is there a bad one? am i right in saying its on a tab under the engine cover?

cheers

Ben

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. mk1chopper

mk1chopper Missing the S3

Best off doing a search, there's been loads of these type of threads in the past couple of weeks, check the stickys out too.

3 engine types all as good as each other imo, all make the same power after a remap. You need to decide if you want a pre or post facelift, which will come down to funds.

4. indiemike

indiemike ZoomZoom

Hello welcome to the site

Like chopper said, use the search and you will find all sorts out on here, good bunch of lads on here and there always happy to help

Good luck with your S3 hunt

5. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving
    VCDS Map User

I was under the impression there were two S3 engine codes, BAM (225) and AMK (210).

Things to look for;

1. Rusting on arches, roof rails, base of the doors and the boot handle
    2. Smoke on start up could show turbo issues
    3. The usual noise from tappets etc although the engines do seem to tick more than most
    4. The usual tyre wear being uneven from quattro and bad allignment

Sure people will add to the list, or have in previous threads.

6. mk1chopper

mk1chopper Missing the S3

7. Breezey

Breezey Member

Thanks guys just sold my golf so desperatly looking now. cant find the right one i have my heart set on a Nogaro :(

8. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

Check for service history of course. Variable servicing allows up to 2yrs/20k mile intervals, but personally I service mine every year / 10k miles. Check the cambelt/water pump has been changed (65k interval I think). Don't get too hung up on the total mileage, so long as the history is there.

Suspension bushes are prone to wear, nothing major but check for knocks on uneven surfaces. I've upgraded mine to Powerflex to sort this out.

Other niggles include door sensors showing that the door is open on the dash display when it's blatantly closed. This also means the interior light won't turn off & the alarm won't set. Requires sensor to be replaced to fully rectify.

Check that the volume control on the audi radio/CD works correctly; on the OEN stereo the volume control can have a mind of its own after a while.

Can't think of anything else that springs to mind. I've owned my S3 for a year now, it's not the cheapest car to run but I love it all the same.

9. wibble111

wibble111 needs to scratch the itch

Nice colour choice, iirc a user on here 'golf' is selling a noggy blue facelift.

10. golf

golf ***** rent boy
    VCDS Map User

Thanks for the publicity wibble!

Not had that much serious interest in the 10 days it's been up, for £5300 I would have thought it would have been snapped up! Pesky credit crunch :keule:

11. martin g

martin g [censored]

Took a look, seems like a nice example golf....

12. golf

golf ***** rent boy
    VCDS Map User

I've had people offering me £4500, people saying it will cost thousands to sort out the leaky gasket and people offering me CAT D part exchanges! *shakes fist in enraged manner*

13. JS1500

JS1500 Howdy

It's a nice S3 golf, especially for that money. Did miss the black grill from the PH ad though.