Buying an S3

carman

Reaction score
Hi Guys!!

Sorry for all the questions but i would really like to know what to look out for when buying an early S3??

Are there any common problems/faults with early S3s or S3s on the whole which i should keep an eye out for??

Anything you could think of would be great!

Also, what insurance group does the s3 fall under. I have read it is 16 but also read its 18 on other sites!!

Thanks again !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Common problems off the top of my head are knackered MAF sensor(around £80 to replace) which means poor throttle response, increase fuel consumption, poor power, and uneven power delivery. Gearbox crunch changing fron 2nd to 3rd at high revs is normal, tired front track arm bushes - these require the whole track arms to be replaced - the motors on the self levelling xenons seem to be a problem. And the DIS display likes to go AWOL, where the diplay starts to fade.
My 99 S3 (46K miles on the clock) has had a new MAF sensor and the front track arms replaced, and the DIS is failing, but Noy bothered about the DIS, so switch it off.

Oh, and coilpacks are weak(like a misfire, running on 3 cylinders) for early S3's, but they should have been replaced under warranty by now!

Thanks for your help jojo - much appreciated!