1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by charlie1, Jan 9, 2005.

1. charlie1

charlie1 New Member

Hi new to the forum and looking to get an S3, however a bit perplexed about the wide disparity in prices out there at the moment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Does anyone else think S3 values are unsettled? From looking at the what's on offer at the mo, I've just seen the following - S3 2001 'Y' Dolphin Grey, BOSE, Alu mirrors, black leather, symphony and 6CD, FASH, 70k, 2 owners, £12,750 at a dealer. But also seen a 2001 'Y' with 63k in Nogaro blue, same options etc for £14,995 from a well known independent. There also seems to be less difference in values between facelift and pre-facelift cars than I would expect, with W plate cars up at similar money to Y plate cars with just slightly more miles.

My thinking is that miles should not be a barrier to looking at these cars as Audi's are a quality item and by definition well engineered enough to take mileage given a full service record. So I'm going the root of looking at getting a facelift car (not bothered about 210 vs 225 bhp) with a few more miles (but not silly mileage) rather than a low mileage W or X plate.

I think I've waffled enough now, but can anyone recommend the best place to get an S3? I've come across Fontain who seem to have a good reputation, and Croft Motors who I'm not really aware of. Any feedback would be great, cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. CARACTERE007

CARACTERE007 Member

croft are very good, well with me anyway, spoke to a guy called alex , he kept me informed all the way through and made numerous calls to me.
  3. langtonr

langtonr Member

I was trying to decided between the noggy blue and the silver one from fontain before christmas (they seem to have had them both quite a while) but ended up finding one with a better spec and less miles for the same sort of money elsewhere. But Fontain did seem like a decent setup and I've heard good things about them. (although they weren't being at all flexible on the price of either car)
  4. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

Hi and welcome to the forum

I got my s3 a few weeks ago and i did notice a huge disparity in prices. (audi dealers not included)

I think colour plays huge factor as their a desirability for certain colour. Nogaro Blue seems popular - even though i personally dont like it - so prices seem higher.
    Also interior trim i.e alacantra (esp blue) and silver leather seem to push prices up more than you would expect.

Factory Sat Nav also pushes prices very high - even though modern aftermarket systems are cheaper and better, the fact it integrates so well commands a high premium.

things which in my opinion didn't command a premium
    silver mirrors
    bose
    cd changer
    heated seats.

things to check for a recent servicing and tyres. the car worth close to a grand.
    Also any warranty (usually about £500 a year)

If you are going for a higher mileage car - watch for timing belt change and if its had that done if its also had water pump done.

Again there is more stuff...but this should get your started and if you do a bit of digging there are plenty of other gems. Especially the s3 buying guide.

Take your time mate and get a good un /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck
  5. charlie1

charlie1 New Member

Thanks all, interesting to hear your comments.
    I'd also say the same about Nogaro Blue, not really sure why it commands a premium; it's a bit similar to VW Jazz blue which, (IMHO) cheapens the look of a nice car, not that it's a **** colour but I think I wouldn't pay extra for it. I can understand why silver leather is worth a bit as it does look great in contrast with a dark metallic, just seen a dark purple (Very rare?) S3 with it and it looks the business.
    Also what mileage to Audi specify the timing belt needs changing, and is the water pump a warranty/ recall issue that should have been carried out or just a known problem to watch out for?
    Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  6. I agree prices vary. Very low mileage 2003 models are selling for over £20k at Audi dealers.

Mine was bought for £19,000 (advertised at £19,500) back in July from a dealer (2002 model, 18K miles, excellent condition).

Generally I find low milers (less than 20k) are still quite expensive.