1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an s3 , which one to go for ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by niallraff, Oct 22, 2012.

1. niallraff

niallraff MW 3

Hi guys i have just moved over to Brisbane Australia form N. Ireland and am interested in buying an S3 year 2000 - 2002, I have noticed there are a range of different engines available with them (APY OR BAM) . This is where i need you guys help . I will most likely be doing some performance and handling mod's. I hope to take the car around to 270bhp so what all would i need to upgrade to get within this target ? and what all is there to look out for when buying ? most reliable engine ? easiest moded ?

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Stickies....

4. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

Just buy the best conditon one you find, all the engines remap up to about the same anyway, and conditon and spec always the key

5. Sevv

Sevv Pushing the limits..

get an AMK engine... beats you doing all the delets..

get 270 is fairly simple bolt on mods... get an FMIC, B5 Tip, 007P DV forge a remap ... get the DP and catback changed and you should have your 270odd hp

once you buy ur id advise gettting a VCDS scanner and check for rust on the roof rails..

6. VAB

VAB Member

I have an AMK and agree with Sevv - deletes are easy stuff and getting them running well is just a matter of following the stickies

7. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid
    Supporter

But AMK do seem to suffer from head failures...

8. Sevv

Sevv Pushing the limits..

just replace with a AGu AEB large port head anyway... its only 150-300 pounds its a joke when you think about a cost of an S3 in Oz.

9. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

I logged 220gs/275bhp with B5 TIP + Jetex, a decent service and a stage 1 (unsure which) map.

10. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

I'd go for one that was owned by someone on a forum like this one as it has probably been well looked after and serviced regularly also try and get one with some good mods like a good exhaust and coilovers as it may save you some money in the future when the modding bug hits lol!

11. niallraff

niallraff MW 3

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have been reading alot on haldex race controllers and was wondering if anybody on hear has one fitted along with a rear lsd and arb's aswell . i imagine this would cure the understree alot ?