Buying an s3 Thursday :) I'm new here!

Jkevs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking forward to learning about these cars from this forum. I learnt a lot from the briskoda forum. I Currently have a pd150 hybrid fabia vrs tdi but I'm chopping her in on Thursday for a 2008 27k mile black s3 quattro :) would really appreciate any tips and warnings to look for when I go pick it up. Any help would be great? Thanks in advance. Jack.

Welcome aboard, thats quite an upgrade :)

A 2008 S3 will be due it cambelt - Audi say 5 years, VW say 4 years - thats something to factor in when haggling if it hasnt been done already?

Make sure all the electric toys work.

I'm unsure of when the haldex oil change is due.....

Hi Jkevs

Firstly welcome to the forum. am kinda confused of what westy is on about your purchasing or looking to purchase a 08 plate S3 so your in the right section.

However, about the check - you stated the car your looking at has done 27K on the clock and its an 08 plate...in this mileage and age there are few things to look at.

1.Firstly Check the car’s logbook, service history, previous MOT certificates and any old bills and receipts to establish if the car has been cared for, identify recurring faults and check the car’s mileage is genuine by Look at each MOT certificate and servicing stamp – the car’s total mileage should increase at a steady rate at each MOT and service interval < if not it’s been clocked

2. The car is running on its 5th year so at some point this year the timing belt and water pump must be changed. if its changed then thats one hassle out of the way. Audi recommends that the timing belt must be changed at 75,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first. For peace of mind it should be changed. Other members in this forum may guide you on this more.

3. Check if the High fuel pressures cam follower has been changed as they wear out at some point. Just check whether it has either been looked at or changed. These wear out quicker on modified cars. This can damage your whole engine if the cam follower wears out.

I think i covered what needs to be covered on the age and mileage of that particular car. If there's anything else am sure others will help you. I am also looking to buy a audi s3 sportback...going to start hunting for one from December this year cant wait.

Thank you for the replies :) literally back to basics knowledge wise with this car so fingers crossed shes a good one. will keep you updated. Thanks for the tips at least I now have a better idea of what to look for. Much appreciated

No Problem Jkev hope everything works out for you :kissmyrings:

Hey jkevs,
look forward to seeing what you end up with.
Best colour IMO :)

Just a word of warning, that's very low mileage for age, so look for evidence of crash
repairs or see if you can find good reason for such low usage. If you can't there's a chance
it's been off the road. Get the reg and you should be able to confirm with Audi directly
if they have either repaired it or supplied parts to repair it.

They should have a record of all and any servicing and repairs they have carried out
on it. Make sure mileages on MOTs and servicing add up and don't highlight a long period
of time not being used or off road. These are quick cars and a lot get involved in accidents.

Check panel gaps carefully all round the car, if you find a discrepancy, get under the car
and look carefully where you find the discrepancy. Signs may be newer components than
on the other side of the car, new underseal or paint. Just because Audi don't have records
of repairs it doesn't 100% mean it's okay. It just means Audi haven't fixed it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, looking forward to learning about these cars from this forum. I learnt a lot from the briskoda forum. I Currently have a pd150 hybrid fabia vrs tdi but I'm chopping her in on Thursday for a 2008 27k mile black s3 quattro :) would really appreciate any tips and warnings to look for when I go pick it up. Any help would be great? Thanks in advance. Jack.
So, did you get it Jack?

Welcome to audi-sport.net Jack. Did you pick up the car? Any pics? Enjoy the forum. :) x

Hi everyone, unfortunately I didn't pick it up :( the garage rung me Wednesday and said after giving the car a once over they discovered an air con fault and that resulted in the air con compressor having to be changed so I'm picking her up tomorrow at around mid day :) good 5 hour drive for myself and my dad so looking forward to the drive back :)
Also I rung the insurance company that originally gave me the quote for this beasty and they turner around and said that they were sorry but they couldn't insure me, so quite lucky really that it's tomorrow that it wasn't ready until tomorrow. I shopped around for ages and hardly anyone would insure me ( quite understandable considering I'm 20 yrs old :/) but thankfully i've found a reasonable quote so full steam ahead.

Thank you grr666 for your in depth information and thank you Sandra I shall pop a few pics up once i've gotten over the excitement of having the car and given her a bit of a polish. :)

Reactions: Sandra and grr666
Picked her up today :) she's in brilliant condition. Really chuffed ;)

Enjoy .... Vrs is fast, S3 is faster lol take it easy

Nice one mate, I bet your fabia went like stink with that pd150 hybrid on it. What sort of numbers was it producing?

I had a run in a remapped one years ago and couldn't believe how good it was.

Enjoy the S3 :arco:

Nice one mate, I bet your fabia went like stink with that pd150 hybrid on it. What sort of numbers was it producing?

I had a run in a remapped one years ago and couldn't believe how good it was.

Enjoy the S3 :arco:

Was running around 200 bhp but wasn't too healthy towards the end of our relationship lol so had to change it :(

Will do, cheers bud

Come on Jack! Stop thrashing round in it and get some pics up.
Get some upon Briskoda too and make the Fabia BoyZ JeluZZ innit. :hubbahubba:

Picked her up today :) she's in brilliant condition. Really chuffed ;)

Well done...hope you enjoy it.

When I think of the cars I had when I was 20 yrs old etc etc....LOL

Ok here's some pics :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373113999628168ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373114016825439

Reactions: grr666
Well done...hope you enjoy it.

When I think of the cars I had when I was 20 yrs old etc etc....LOL

Too true, I had a Mark 5 Cortina 2.0 GL.
It went okay (or seemed so at the time) but my god was it primitive.
Contact breaker points and a manual choke.
For the couple of years I had it it went wrong every couple of months and I
went to the breakers to climb around amongst the wrecks stacked 3 high and foraged
for the bits I needed to put it right. Never spent more than £20 fixing it.
Can you imagine anyone taking the chance nowadays of being sued allowing customers to
climb up into badly stacked cars and remove their own parts :rulez:

Reactions: T-800, Dean_T and S3Alex
Jack, the car looks lovely. Love the colour. Hope you have many happy miles in it. :) x