Buying A6 3.0tdi - identifying if it has a dpf

mattupnorth

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing either an A6 or A4 3.0 TDI Quattro. I'm trying to understand if there's a hard and fast rule for whether a car has a DPF or not.

I'm looking at earlier models from 05-56 plates. I know as a rule of thumb from 07 onwards they had DPF's fitted, but can anyone advise if I can make any other assumptions?

I would rather get one pre-DPF, having had nightmares with a Passat before and not wanting to go down the removal route.

Looking at cars for sale online I've requested a few engine codes, most od this era are BMK engines..but from research on here it seems some peoples have a DPF and some don't!! So rather than going to see them all I'm hoping there's another way to tell??

Last edited:
early introduction of DPF on Audis had "TDV" designation in the model description....

Hey. Check the sticker in the boot (or spare wheel area) that has all the codes for the cars options. There's two codes for the DPF. If you see 7GG it ha a DPF, if you see 7GN (like mine) it does not have a DPF.

Thanks viio. Picked one up without a dpf, but its got a smoking issue (unburnt diesel) and stereo problem (speakers dont work in drivers door and passenger reaf door) so its back with the garage I got it from.

Not the best start!!

If it's chucking out white smoke then the injectors will undoubtedly need changing, quite a common problem with 3.0 TDI's around 2005-2006 I think..
Duff speakers is a small issue really.
Karl.

Thanks Karl, that was my thoughts...I've left it with them for their mechanic to investigate. Feared the speakers may be an amp issue as have noticed a popping when it's off? But DAB/Sat Nav etc work fine but only through passenger front door speakers and offside rear doors - being BOSE can't believe all 3 speakers have gone in the drivers door simultaneously.

I'm sure I was just unlucky with my Passat, but it had done 115k and the dpf's don't last forever. Lots of horror stories but I'm sure there's a lot out there with no issues at all!!

As long as you regularly do journeys involving a good run??

Like Paul says removing them and having them mapped out is always an option. I considered it but wasn't planning on keeping the car.

Unfortunately forums are full of problems & horror stories, when was the last time you seen a post saying my car is working perfectly and never had a problem.

Well my car's back. The garage I bought it off has replaced the turbo as their mechanic diagnosed the smoking as a failing turbo seal. They didn't think it was injectors as runs and idles smoothly. The smoking is indeed improved, but still evident - they have suggested this is a build up in the exhaust system that should now clear within a 100miles or so. Seem likely? Had a similar issue with an old 306 and this did happen - going to run it for a week and see what happens.

Stereo issue still not fixed, has anyone had a similar problem? Would one blown speaker really knock out all the speakers in two doors? Are they in some kind of chain? Any thoughts appreciated.

Speakers only working on one side of the car can mean the AMP is in component protection, this could be caused by the amp being replaced or after a firmware update.

If the injectors are going it's easy to spot, get the engine up to temp then idle the car for a couple of minutes if you see smoke coming out of the back, the injectors are failing.

Also if you have access to VCDS then you can see if the injectors are out of tolerance, and you can see if the AMP is in component protection.