1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUYING A4 COMON FAULTS? M,N,P REG?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by fallmonk, Jul 8, 2004.

1. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S4

There's a new breed a first car owners here in UK. Teenagers are buying brand new small hatchbacks in huge numbers. The cars cost £10,000, & the insurance another £3,000. After a year, the cars are thrashed out wrecks, probably worth about £4,000 tops.

My nephew's first car was a 15-year old Jaguar XJ6 4.0 litre Sovereign. He paid £500 for it, spent another £500 & a lot of hard work over six months restoring it himself. He learned so much, he now has his own business breaking and/or restoring XJ Jags, and shipping all over the world. He's still only 23.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    fallmonk said:
    Hi folks apart from one person who jumped on me (but did say sorry in next post lol) every one is been very friendly and helpfull , thanks folks mick

PS my spelling is awful as well so ure in good Co !

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Fallmonk, I'm really sorry but we've totally hi-jacked your post with this discussion about UK car-registration & buying habits. Hope it hasn't put you off the forum, mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

4. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

Who would have thought such a simple question would cause so many problems lol, as for the regi plates thing as jdp sayd wot a mess but i think we can fairly and squarly lay the blame for this in EUROPES door all those bloody politicians at brussels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Totally with you there Jeff, my first car was a 900cc Polo (£550) and I spent hours every weekend on it, resprayed it black, replaced a door from a scrappy, even painted the grill surround red to look like a GTi. Had to respray all the interior trim panels as well as they were a mustard colour - nice.
    Kids these days eh?

6. ajmackie

ajmackie Member

If insurance and fuel wasn't so much, I'd love to have an old jag!!

7. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ajmackie said:
    If insurance and fuel wasn't so much, I'd love to have an old jag!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did that come from??

...and yes fallmonk , sorry for the multiple hijacking of your thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

8. ajmackie

ajmackie Member

jdp1962 said about their nephews cars was a 15 year old jag and he restored it. Well here in blighty insurance is ridiculous and me being 21 with no no claims there is no way i could get insured on a 4 litre v6 luxury car. My 1.8 99 Audi costs me £1350 a year. Our normal engines are small like a 1.8 or 1.4 so i couldn't get insured due to the cost. Fuel is also ridiculous £0.79 per litre. The 4 litre v6 would guzzle the petrol and hence I couldn't afford to run it. That is where that came from.

9. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    ajmackie said:
    jdp1962 said about their nephews cars was a 15 year old jag and he restored it. Well here in blighty insurance is ridiculous and me being 21 with no no claims there is no way i could get insured on a 4 litre v6 luxury car. My 1.8 99 Audi costs me £1350 a year. Our normal engines are small like a 1.8 or 1.4 so i couldn't get insured due to the cost. Fuel is also ridiculous £0.79 per litre. The 4 litre v6 would guzzle the petrol and hence I couldn't afford to run it. That is where that came from.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be more wrong. Firstly, a 15-year old car worth £500 only needs insuring on a third party basis, so unless you've got a string of endorsements, it'd probably be less than you're paying for your A4 1.8, which would cover the extra cost of the petrol. Oh yes, & it's an in-line 6, not a V6.

10. ajmackie

ajmackie Member

sorry i didn't realise we were going to be so picky on the layout of the cylinders. Fact is a 4 litre 6 cylinder still is going to cost a substantial more to run.

Just done an insurance quote and it is £1460 for me with 1 speeding. So it would cost loads more for me!

11. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    ajmackie said:
    Just done an insurance quote and it is £1460 for me with 1 speeding. So it would cost loads more for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a hell of lot, even allowing for your age & one endorsement. What level of cover were you quoting for, & what information did you give for car age & value?

12. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    ajmackie said:
    sorry i didn't realise we were going to be so picky on the layout of the cylinders. Fact is a 4 litre 6 cylinder still is going to cost a substantial more to run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ajmackie, I'm very conscious that we're well off topic now, but if you genuinely want to switch to a Jag, can I send you a PM? If you want a Jag that badly, I can put you in touch with quite a few people who are experts in the Jaguar scene, & can make it affordable for you. But I'll only do it if you really are serious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

13. excursion

excursion Member

In response to Clive's question, may I reccomend using a diluted mix of 'root out'. It seems to do the trick.

14. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    excursion said:
    In response to Clive's question, may I reccomend using a diluted mix of 'root out'. It seems to do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Mark, but you've lost me there, mate.

15. excursion

excursion Member

[ QUOTE ]
    jdp1962 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    excursion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Mark, but you've lost me there, mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I lost myself too. Wrong reply, wrong box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif