1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a tdi?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by strictlyVAG, Jan 27, 2006.

1. strictlyVAG

strictlyVAG New Member

hi im a new one
    currently a polo owner but fancy more luxury and toys
    ive been looking at the a4 saloon tdi
    is there anything in particular i should be aware off when looking for one of these?

also i really want a red one with a8 rims on but will i get away with 18's ?

any input apeciated
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. which model tdi?
    the 1.9 or the 2.5?

18's fit fine, they have the same rolling radius as the standard wheels.

4. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!
    VCDS Map User

I'd personally go for the 2.5TDi, still a very economical engine despite the size.
    Spend time and search, dont buy first car you see. Test drive a couple to give you a feel of performance difference bewteen 1.9 & 2.5 models.
    Make sure there is F.S.H, if possible all dealership IMO.
    Cambelt changed date / or due date?

I know it's not big deal, but i also check that the tyres are all the same brand / model, inc the spare. (dont ask why, just a thing i do! if it has odd tyres I wouldnt buy it.)

5. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S4

[ QUOTE ]
    I know it's not big deal, but i also check that the tyres are all the same brand / model, inc the spare. (dont ask why, just a thing i do! if it has odd tyres I wouldnt buy it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. Psychologically, i always feel the moment a car stops running on a matching set of premium brand tyres, & is given any old mix of cheap tyres, that's the first sign it has become a banger.

6. i highly recommend the 2.5
    mine is the 150 bhp version, on motorway runs it does between 40-50 mpg (got 52mpg once), and does 35-42 around town. all depends on how fast you drive i suppose.

obviously the quattro version will use a bit more fuel but if i could go back i would get the quattro version of the 2.5