Buying a 2.0T Quattro

chrissy1502002

Reaction score
Good morning all,

this is my first post and its for a bit of advise, I am going to view this car tomorrow:

http://www.churchsperformancecars.co.uk/detail.asp?StockID=1001

I have the intention of putting a deposit down on the car, as it looks like exactly what ive been looking for.

Is there anything that you guys and gals would recomend me looking for?

Regards

Chris

Welcome to the forum! That car is almost identical to my old A3 and it was a great car. I can't think of anything specific that goes wrong on them as mine was flawless for the year I had it. I'd say make sure you give it a full function test though. These cars have a few toys and it's worth spending some times checking that the air con works (even in this weather!) check the DIS doesn't have dead pixels, every function on the stereo works etc etc

For the right price I would. Less than listed of course. Also the list on the right says metallic paint and it says solid in the write up. You could only buy solid black or pearlescent (Phantom) black at that time.

Obviously i don't know your situation Chris, but if you have a budget in mind, i would look for something with a little less mileage

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car and i'm sure it's been looked after, but for buying such a nice car that has done 75k in just under 4 years seems a bit high to me

Firstly thanks for all of your inputs.

I have had a look in the Glass's guide, and it books at around £10,000 so that is the money i will be aiming to spend at a maximum.

The milage is high for the age of the car, but from my experience with my Seat Ibiza Cupra, servicing is the key. I used to work for Portsmouth Audi and we had cars come in with alot more miles, but i doo take your point on board.

I was not sure of the mechanical side of it, as i say i used to work au Audi, but at the time the A3 was still relitively new, and they didnt have many problems. I was just wandering if any had materialised over their life?

Also do you think that the standard clutch will be ok with an AMD remap?

Chris

Last edited:
The clutch should be fine with it but you have to take into account that the car has done 74k on the standard clutch with standard map so there will be wear and tear. Adding more boost and torque to the car will increase this but depending on you driving style, I think it will be ok

My TDI A3 had a map on it for 60k and its still going strong!

Thats a releif, my Cupra has now just ticked over 80k and has had a stage 2 remap from about 30k and its fine so far, i had read about the S3 clutches having some issues after a remap, and just was unsure about the normal A3

Very similar car to mine, high mileage is off putting but if its been looked after then high mileage isn't a problem. remapped i reckon the engine will be running 240ish bhp, don't worry about the clutch too much, they can take some abuse but then again saying that it all depends on how its been driven.

things to look out for are the usual car stuff like the car not pulling to one side etc.

if you get chance turn the ESP off and boot it in 1st from stand still to make sure the quattro system is working, its not uncommon for rear diffs to pack up and not go into 4wd.

check the wear on the discs and pads, if they are worn its a good bargaining point to get money off as thats yet another £200 to change those, same goes with tyres, at £130 a corner it can get expensive, also make sure that all the tyres on the same axle are the same brand and have the same wear rate, the quattro system is quite sensitive to uneven tyre wear as it wears out the diff.

ah one more thing, when the car is at stand still go lock to lock on the steering wheel and listen out for creaks, its a common issue for steering columns to start creaking, i had mine done under warranty a couple of years ago and now the creaking is back, not going to bother fixing it as its a good few hundred quids worth of work!

Thanks Robin, thats exactly the sort of things i was after.

Do the tyres need to be the same on the front and rear, or just on each axel?

paid 12,500 for my sport back three months ago and mine has loads of extra's and only 22k on the clock look around fella. there is plenty out there better than that one for the money!

Reading through the small print, this car already has an amd remap with milltek exhaust, so the clutch and turbo have not been running on standard power.

I think it is a bit overpriced with that mileage, got my 55 plate from a private seller with 34k miles (basically same as this) back in March for £10k, although I guess prices are going up.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin, thats exactly the sort of things i was after.

When I got my tyres changed (Under the Audi Service Care plan) Audi finance specifically told the garage to change all 4 tyres even tho there was plenty of tread left.

same on each axle.

they should ideally be changed all 4 at the same time, mine seem to wear all at the same rate so i change all 4 at the same time.

you say you think you're going to view a Quattro yet I cannot see the word Quattro mentioned in the advert?? Looks like a FWD 2.0TFSI to me...

Just change the tyres on each axle at the same time. Some 4wd cars(I think it was evos that had the problem) have known to wear the centre diff with different age/worn tyres but thats not common and the A3 doesnt use a centre diff so it makes no difference. Keeping the same age/type of tyre on each axle keeps the car balanced and predictable.

Just change the tyres on each axle at the same time. Some 4wd cars(I think it was evos that had the problem) have known to wear the centre diff with different age/worn tyres but thats not common and the A3 doesnt use a centre diff so it makes no difference. Keeping the same age/type of tyre on each axle keeps the car balanced and predictable.

I was always advised on both my previous "proper" 4wd cars to change the tyres at the same time. Cavalier Turbo and S4.

The Cavalier's were prone to wrecking the transfer box if the tyres weren't within a couple of mm of each other.

Also do you think that the standard clutch will be ok with an AMD remap?

Chris

The clutch and DMF failed on my Golf after a remap (same Engine as A3 20TFSI 200ps) and had done less than 20K miles.

Obviously not all cars are afflicted but knackered clutch/DMFs on VAG 20TFSI is certainly not un heard of.

You will probably see more evidence of this on the Golf forums as there seems to be more tuned MK5 Gtis kicking around than 20T A3s..

cheers
Paul

Definitely check the air-con as Staz has already said. The compressor is a known weak point and is expensive to fix.

i thought you could only get 2 models in the 2.0TSFI:

2.0TFSI with DSG - 2WD
2.0TFSI with 6 speed manual - quattro

didn't realise that they did a 2wd 6 speeder.

i thought you could only get 2 models in the 2.0TSFI:

2.0TFSI with DSG - 2WD
2.0TFSI with 6 speed manual - quattro

didn't realise that they did a 2wd 6 speeder.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/audi/a3-hatchback-2003.aspx?page=7

it's the 2.0TDI 170 that is limited only that you cannot have DSG box with Quattro. But FWD either manual or DSG.

the 2.0TFSI or whatever guise it is 2.0T etc can be in the four transmissions and I wasn't aware the turbo charged 2.0T came with less than 6 gears? even the 2.0FSI came with 6...

on a new A3 though you can't get manual box with Quattro with 2.0TFSI...

Confusing or what!!!

Last edited:
Thank everyone for your help. I went and had a look at the car, and it is Quattro. It also has got S3 front brake's, with brand new disks and pads. Its service history is all from Awesome GTI and it was last done in August of this year. There were a number of advisory's and the garage have agreed to repair all of the advisory's.

The car felt like new, and still felt relitively tight. The Quattro system works perfectly and it drove fantasticly.

I shold be picking it up within two weeks, as long as i can sell my current Ibiza Cupra.

Once again thanks for all of your help!

Regards

Chris

Thanks! Yeah, I feel that I got a good price so im well happy. Like i said, the garage hadnt noticed the S3 brakes on the front so another bonus :thumbsup: