Buyer Beware!!

Dan the man

Reaction score
Well its been just short of 6 months since collecting my new TT. I know its not an A3 but as some of you may know, I had an A3 before the TT. A rather expensive purchase, however, it is an Audi, so quality should come as standard, so a couple of years of stress free motoring ahead of me before deciding what Audi to go into next.

Well, that was the initial thought and fantasy, unfortunately it has turned into a bit of a nightmare, which only seems to be getting worse.

In the close to 6 months that I have owned the car, it has always been faulty. This faults, while they were not major mechanical faults, were faults that has meant the car has had to go back to the dealer to have the same fault (2 different faults) repaired 3 times, with another fault a characteristic of the car, and more faults occurring all the time.

So, in the 6 months I've had the car, the workshop have had it for 3 of those months. The dealer, who truth be told have been good to me and have done their best to fix the car, are playing hard ball now that I have rejected the car under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which states the car must be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”. I rejected it under the satisfactory quality part, but I suppose any of them could fit. The car was rejected just after the 5 month point and while it was with the dealer for more repairs. I would have rejected it sooner had the dealer not treated me as well as they had.

Now I have lost faith in the car, and brand, and have requested a partial refund. This is a statutory right as a consumer and I put 50% of the cost of the vehicle on PCP with my PX and cash making up the other 50% of the purchase price. I have informed the dealer of a minimum figure that I am willing to accept, which would equate to paying approx £1000 per month of owning the car, thats not driving the TT, but owning it. I have thought this was a fair offer really?

Now, unfortunately, even though Audi UK are aware, neither the dealer, nor Audi, are willing to offer me a refund. They have pretty much said do your worst as they are a big company and I am a little fish. I have kept it all really friendly and good natured, being extremely fair and patient. I mentioned that should my fair request for my consumer rights not be agreed to then I will move this case further than just to the dealer, which it was with until last night. The dealer has pretty much told me to do what I have to and be prepared for a fight as neither them nor Audi are willing to refund me my money.

So the moral of the story is, if you think that buying a car, only being able to drive it for 3 months out of 6, and being nice and fair to the dealer is the way to ensure your consumer rights are being adhered to, then think again. Very poor show Audi. Let the battle begin.

Just in case people are on other forums, I will be copying and pasting this on as many forums of that I am a member of, so sorry if you have to read it again. Comments and advice is always welcome. Thanks for reading..

That sounds awful mate, I wish you the best of luck in your battles. Just a few questions:

1. What were the problems specifically you had on your car? Could you list them one by one if you have time?
2. How much did you pay in cash?
3. What are Audi exactly offering to do? You only have to pay 3 of the 6 months? Can you clarify.

Cheers.

Try auto express its the 'Sun' of motoring magazines but gets great results, pretty sure Audi will do a U tun once they ae involved, the other one is Honest John in the Telegraph...

Hi,

There have been a few, about 7 or so, I have listed them on my rejection letter but for now I will just say one of them is the seat creaking, which is a common TT fault, and still unresolved.
I paid £19000 in PX and cash.
The dealer offered things to keep me in the car, which I have stated since the rejection that I am only willing to accept a refund, as my wife won't drive the car any more due to the faults with the seats and her fears. The dealer offered to try to sell the car for me on a sale or return basis, so I can try to get some money back??? I pointed out my consumer rights allow me a refund, which I want. Thats when they said do your worst.
Ive paid every instalment of the PCP, even when I was driving around in an A1 for nearly a month. The minimum I have said I will accept works out I would lose £6k for 3 months of driving a faulty car.
I must just say that each time I got the car back I contacted the garage within a week to get it booked back in, unfortunately because I need a car to get to work I have had a 3 or 4 week wait for a courtesy car to be available, hence it has taken so long as if they had got it in straight away then I doubt I would have had it for a month at most.

Thanks, I will be composing letters to go to every trade publication and motoring ombudsman that I can think of.

Reactions: s3_trev
Have to say I wouldn't be too keen on losing £6k either sounds a bit unreasonable. It may be easier to just negotiate a replacement perhaps with another model rather than an outright refund but tbh I think you are due whatever suits you best. Once resolved post the details of the car on here and TT forum in case an unsuspecting user buys the car from the Audi approved used !

Reactions: xBox
yeah, I will be keeping everyone up to date with developments.

I don't want to be losing £6k but thats the figure if they offer my minimum amount. We feel that strongly against the car and brand that thats what we are willing to lose, just to put this sorry affair behind us.

I have a young family and very stressful job so this is extra stress I could do without to be honest. If it wasn't for having the consumer rights behind me and being totally fair then I would just accept anything, but I am the aggrieved one in all this.

Reactions: 4K
I had cause to reject my first 8P Cabrio back in 2009. Had faults from the start including S-Tronic issues, Roof issues, Rattles and body panel fit and Finnish and RNSE / ignition power issues. I was being nice about the situation and the dealer had the car for 3 out of the the 7 months I owned it. They never wanted to talk compensation, they just threw hire cars at me. In the 7th month I handed both the dealer and Audi Finance (10k) a rejection letter. Long story short, and after firm but friendly meetings with the business manager and my agreeing the pay an additional £1000 they replaced my 2009 with a new 2010. They wanted 2k but I met them half way to be done with the situation. The NEW car they found for me had extra options including iPod and CC which they did not charge for.

One thing that I think helped me is that I started to refuse to speak with shop floor level staff, and every meeting I had I went armed with ALL the issue notes and a copy of both the Cars sales literature and manual. Every time they would try and say "it's a feature and not a fault" I would ask them to find the pages which stated this! They had no come back. Audi finance helped fair bit also as at the end of the day, no matter what % I put in, they owned a faulty car.

Stay nice but keep the pressure on. They will cave in. You have given then ample opportunity to resolve the issues and you should now be able to reject the car or be able to get a like for like (or slightly better) replacement.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Minion Bob!
Have to say I wouldn't be too keen on losing £6k either sounds a bit unreasonable. It may be easier to just negotiate a replacement perhaps with another model rather than an outright refund but tbh I think you are due whatever suits you best. Once resolved post the details of the car on here and TT forum in case an unsuspecting user buys the car from the Audi approved used !

Yep, my route would be away from the path of dissatisfaction..... its is truly never-ending.

Try and get motivated and positive about something else, unless you really can spare the time and angst.

Thanks for all the replies guys, and I am sure it would be a lot easier to negotiate a replacement vehicle, however both the wife and I have been left with a horrible taste in our mouth's from the whole experience, especially as I have been extremely patient in only being able to drive my car for less than 3 months, and for 90% of the 3 months the car was driven with faults, as I was waiting for it to be able to be returned to be fixed.

All I want is for my consumer rights to be followed and upheld, to get away from the car and brand and get myself mobile again, as I need a car for work as 60 miles is a little far to cycle each day.

The dealer and Audi just don't want to return any money, they want to keep me in one of their vehicles and keep my business, well that is not what we want and that is why I only have the one option available to me, which is a refund.

This post is to inform people of what could happen should they ever be in the unfortunate position, as I am, with Audi, or any other car manufacturer. Hopefully I can keep people informed of each step and of how Audi react when I hear back from them next week.

To be honest Danny you haven't told us anything about the faults, other than a squeaky chair, and this makes it difficult to see why Audi and the dealer are in the wrong here. I'm all for championing consumer rights and naming and shaming bad dealers and Audi when they do wrong. However reading your posts I'm struggling to see what your valid reasons are for rejection as you have not given us any details of the faults. Could you be more specific? If it's rattles and a squeaky chair that are the issue, I'm inclined on the info you have given us to agree with the dealer and Audi. So, more info would be ideal to get a better balance to your story.

I find it staggering that Audi treat customers this way. It's one reason why I don't think my next replacement will be an Audi as the customer service isn't great for what is meant to be a 'premium' brand. Our six year old S3 is currently with the dealer for an engine management system light that is on. The receptionist tried to fob me off saying if the car is driving fine it will be okay and to get it booked in. I referred her to the manual which states that when this light comes on you should go straight to your nearest dealer whilst driving slowly.
I hope you get sorted and I certainly wouldn't be contemplating taking the hit of a few grand for a car you're not happy with.

Reactions: Snibo
I find it staggering that Audi treat customers this way. It's one reason why I don't think my next replacement will be an Audi as the customer service isn't great for what is meant to be a 'premium' brand. Our six year old S3 is currently with the dealer for an engine management system light that is on. The receptionist tried to fob me off saying if the car is driving fine it will be okay and to get it booked in. I referred her to the manual which states that when this light comes on you should go straight to your nearest dealer whilst driving slowly.
I hope you get sorted and I certainly wouldn't be contemplating taking the hit of a few grand for a car you're not happy with.

That's really bad of them to say it's ok as it's driving ok, seeing as it would fail an MOT for having the light on, most likely emissions related - cat or lambda sensors.

My S3 visited the dealer more than all the other cars I owned in the past. It has now 20.000 km and showed a lot of annoying problems:

1) Crackling B&O midrange speaker
2) Driver seat frame changed twice because plays and noises
3) Noisy expansion valve of the air con
4) cherry on the cake: a whine at 140km/h they do not know how to fix. I requested the visit of a master tech but they are unwilling to help.

I am not sure my next car will be an Audi. I had a BMW and never a trouble.

Reactions: Snibo and veeeight

My current car is a BMW, my new car is an Audi S3, so I guess we cancel each other out - lol!!

Just cars, owners and dealers. Cars often go wrong. Dealers sometimes screw up. Owners get mad.... and more importantly, expectations often don't get met.

What to do?

Reactions: danilotto
My S3 visited the dealer more than all the other cars I owned in the past. It has now 20.000 km and showed a lot of annoying problems:

1) Crackling B&O midrange speaker
2) Driver seat frame changed twice because plays and noises
3) Noisy expansion valve of the air con
4) cherry on the cake: a whine at 140km/h they do not know how to fix. I requested the visit of a master tech but they are unwilling to help.

I've heard lots of stories of BMW's going wrong also mate, these aren't isolated problems. Apparently the trim quality on new BMW's is awful with lots of plastic etc falling apart after the first year of owning...

Reactions: danilotto
I've heard lots of stories of BMW's going wrong also mate, these aren't isolated problems. Apparently the trim quality on new BMW's is awful with lots of plastic etc falling apart after the first year of owning...

And indicators not working.

Reactions: 4K and Cymru09
And the passenger electric window motor failing constantly, but more importantly the head gasket going at only 8 months old....... Sorry that was just my experience with BMW lol

Good luck pal!

I had a similar experience with Volvo UK. My 3month old C30 developed a gearbox rattle which culminated in it being in their workshop for months!

They looked after me with courtesy cars etc....but I lost all faith in the vehicle and - like you - tried to reject the car.

I'll not bore you with the detail, let's just say far too much of my time was spent fighting a lost cause. They fought back and I ended up giving up trading the 6month old car in against an Audi.....

What did I learn! All vehicle manufacturers are the same....

Well its been just short of 6 months since collecting my new TT. I know its not an A3 but as some of you may know, I had an A3 before the TT.
@Danny Fireblade - I am wondering whether the 8V A3/S3 forum is the right section for this post, bearing in mind all your complaints are about a TT & not a A3

I have massive respect for you pal! You seem like an intelligent guy, you know your rights, and you have attempted to exercise those rights fairly. To then be basically told that you are only a small fry and that Audi are too big to touch, honestly I would have seen red I really would. I am behind you 100% on this one and I wish you the best of luck!!! Sounds like Audi need to come down to earth a bit and realise without buyers they wouldnt exist.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and 4K
That's really bad of them to say it's ok as it's driving ok, seeing as it would fail an MOT for having the light on, most likely emissions related - cat or lambda sensors.

Just heard back from them earlier today - camshaft position sensor needs replacing.

@Danny Fireblade

Been there done that ! Its now a game of bluff (you must stop driving the car) and either go for full refund.

Join Which, speak to local trading standards, CAB etc to help you.

or

Ask the dealer to give you a fair price for the car ?

If they refuse to buy it, ask them why ?

Just a quick update guys, spoke to Audi UK today which sounded promising then had a call from the dealer which also went ok.
They still have not agreed to anything, however I reminded them that I want a refund, minus a fair and reasonable charge for the time and mileage I have had out of the car.
Seeing as they have had the car since 24 July I don't think there is much chance of me ever driving it again.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Just a quick update guys, spoke to Audi UK today which sounded promising then had a call from the dealer which also went ok.
They still have not agreed to anything, however I reminded them that I want a refund, minus a fair and reasonable charge for the time and mileage I have had out of the car.
Seeing as they have had the car since 24 July I don't think there is much chance of me ever driving it again.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Get as much as you can out of them.....robbing f...kers !

I was third time lucky with Audi !!!!!!!!!!!

So whats next ?