Bust my N/S outer CV joint

voteforpedro

Reaction score
After spending 3 hours removing the N/S control arms etc I had a little victory dance then noticed I had separated the outer CV joint. :(

There's no torn boot or leaking oil or anything - it just clunks around when you move it and doesn't move like a joint should move. Like dislocating your elbow I suppose. :D

So... can it be repaired or should I get a new one?

It's most annoying, I tell you... One step forward and two steps back. :s

having never dismantled a audi CV joint i'm not 100% sure this applies, but usually the driveshaft is splined, and there is a circlip that holds the driveshaft spline into the CV joint. If your lucky this has simply popped out, and needs refitted, or you may have snapped the circlip, or worse, pulled the cage itself out of the CV joint...

You will probably have to take the shaft off to see whats going on though.

How exactly did you manage this?

having never dismantled a audi CV joint i'm not 100% sure this applies, but usually the driveshaft is splined, and there is a circlip that holds the driveshaft spline into the CV joint. If your lucky this has simply popped out, and needs refitted, or you may have snapped the circlip, or worse, pulled the cage itself out of the CV joint...

You will probably have to take the shaft off to see whats going on though.

How exactly did you manage this?

Not sure how I managed it... It got knocked around a bit while removing control arms and ball joints. >.<

strip it, clean it, put it back together and put new grease and boot on it... no other option, its not broken it just happens when they move out of plane