1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bushes shot to sh*t!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by RichA3Turbo, Apr 9, 2005.

1. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

So recently the car has been a bit sloppy and the steering has been very slack.. Today i found why.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old ones were shot to sh*t! There was very little runner actually connected anymore so no surprise there was some weird creaking and sloppy steering and **** handling!

I've got some ECS Poly bushes to replace them with however there was no way i wan going to be able to get the damn things in so will take them to AmD on monday with the arms and get them pressed in. Dont have the use of a proper vice at the mo (on list of toolage to buy).

The old ones took some shifting.... drilled round the edge of bushings then bashed the main bit out and then used a blow torch and burnt the rest of it away.

I also changed the tie rods (complete) which were a bit of a bugger also but got there in the end.

Rich
  2. hopper

hopper Member

its a bit late now mate but with bushes i normally try and get the centre out 1st, either just knock it out as with yours cuz they're totally knacked or burn the bush out. then get the air saw and cut throught the outer of the bush, then they just knock out.

this may be useful in the future or to any1 else attempting this but a word of warning, dont go mad wen cutting through the bush as you may cut into the lower arm and you dont want that, just take your time.
  3. RichA3Turbo

It was pretty straight forward...make a few drill holes then bashed the main part through and then used a chisel and blow torch (at the same time) to remove the rest.

Rich
  4. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Active Member

I think mine are on the way out too,but i might put s3 wishbones on instead of just new bushes,i might get some camber adjustment then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy
  5. HTC

HTC Active Member

When I replaced the bushes on my old golf, I just replaced the wishbones as well.

Saved me loads of time, but they were only £15 a side at the time. I imagine the A3 ones are more expensive. Hmm, I might check that out.
  6. RichA3Turbo

If i was using standard bushes i would have done that but i want to use poly bushes so wouldnt have helped much unfortunately.

Rich
  7. Markb

Markb Active Member

Kind of looks familar.

Mine were the same and the steering was pants!

[​IMG]
  8. RichA3Turbo

Well the new Poly bushes are in and the car does feel much better. Its holding the road much better on corners but that really isnt surprising seeing the state the old ones were in! Need to get the tracking checked now i've done the tie rods but all seems well. The poly bushes are also not harsh which i was expecting. generally impressed.

Rich
  9. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The poly bushes are also not harsh which i was expecting. generally impressed.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, poly bushes are not that 'hard' but they do let in more road noise.

A worthwhile improvement, in certain areas though, none the less.

BTW, some of my S3 bushes & track rod (drivers side) were in a similar state at the car's first MOT! 2 years and 11 months after buying it new.
    Not good...
  10. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The poly bushes are also not harsh which i was expecting. generally impressed.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, poly bushes are not that 'hard' but they do let in more road noise.

A worthwhile improvement, in certain areas though, none the less.

BTW, some of my S3 bushes & track rod (drivers side) were in a similar state at the car's first MOT! 2 years and 11 months after buying it new.
    Not good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats no good. I believe mine were original items...considerably older than 3 years!

there is a very slight increase in road noise... but nothing drastic. A worthwhile upgrade i feel.

RIch