Bush replacement rather than the whole arm

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm posting this question in the B5 section as there is a lot more knowledge in this section, I'm looking at replacing the components on the rear that have bushes in them on my A6, problem is if I purchased all new parts the cost would be around £1500, but If I just do the bushes (using lemforder bushes) the cost would be around £200. I'm willing to buy a tools to do the job (looking at something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301021597487?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) but just wondering if other people have just done the bushes and kept their old arms. Also is there a better tools to do the job, far as I can see even if I spend £300-£500 on the tools it will still be way cheaper.

So is it easy enough just or am I just going to be in a world of pain....

I've rebushed a few sets of B5 rear wishbones without issue.

I typically use my vice and a selection of sockets, bits of tube/bar/pipe etc. My Vice is massive though, its a Record 25, just about the largest one they make, anything smaller and you might damage it. You'd be better with a press, but good ones are expensive.

In the past i've taken parts along to a local garage and got them to press in the bushes, usually wont cost much if you supply them the arms with the old parts removed, as often its getting the old ones out thats difficult.

Reactions: B5NUT
You could replace just the bushes. But then your gamble would be on how long before the ball joints on the control arms would last before they failed?

I know some people have only replaced the bushings.

For me, I'm rather anal, I would fit new arms personally. I know it's costings are more now but in future it might be cheaper than buying the bushes and then replacing the arms in 18 months time anyway.....

Reactions: PAULF
£1500 is just for the rear, as some of the parts are Audi only, but they sell the bushes. No ball joints on the rear thankfully.

Reactions: S4_dan
Biggest costs are the 2 parts on the image shown below, yet the bushes are very cheap. I've got a 10 ton press and dozens of sockets but any excuse to buy a different set of tools.

Thanks for the link to your post, I'll have a read.

Yeh i wouldnt even consider changing those parts, just rebush them.

If the smaller link arms (top ones i guess?) are cheap enough, then it might be worthwhile buying them, you'd have to weigh up the time involved in removing and rebushing them, vs the cost of the arms.

On my B5 i ended up with a full spare set of arms, so i rebushed those, then swapped them out in one go which meant downtime was minimised.

:iagree:

You may also want to look at Items 2, 3 and 4.
These are the tracking bolt and washers for the part of the 4 wheel alignment.
I would guess you have another similar one not in the illustration.
There are 4 in total for the B5 (Camber and Toe each side) and the washer had an internal tang that broke on removal/refit on two of mine You need this for the movement to get the toe/camber correct.
I can't remember if I bought the bolt as well or just the washer - it may be in my thread

Cheers for the tip, I'm going to get a complete set of new nuts & bolts, hate trying to use the old rusted up stuff.

The 4 other arms would be around £320, and bushes would be around £60 so a big saving again. I may see if I can get some used arms cheap enough and refurbish them so their is less time with the car off the road, but I figure it's going to be out of action for about a week, if I cannot get them.

Last edited: