Facelift Burning smell !

ASRman

Reaction score
Hi

I have tried a search on this and haven't found much. If there is already information on it please direct me to the thread, if not...

My S3 s tronic now has 500 miles on the clock. I haven't babied it and have driven how I normally do and so far the car has been perfect and feels strong. I took a mate out for a spin earlier and put my foot down a bit and when I pulled up I smelt a strong burning smell which seemed to be coming from the engine bay area or front radiator. Kind of smelled like burned oil or burned clutch im not quite sure.

Now I have already put my foot down prior to this (I know some people disagree with that and break a car in by the book but I never have and have never had an issue) and the have never noticed a smell. I also drove it later and accelerated hard and the smell has disappeared. Any ideas what it could have been as it seems quite strange ?

Most new cars emit a plastic burning smell when driven hard.

Worry if it's still present in about 1000 miles.

They do smell, not as strong as the RS3... the new RS3's stink but it's such a nice smile I'd rather it stay haha.. I like it anyway.

The S3's just smell warm, normal I would say after a spirited drive.

I took somebody out in mine earlier from work, short 400m blasts between roundabouts outside work and then a launch... few stops from of course no more than 70mph.. the car stank, I felt awful after it. My brakes were smoking when I pulled in, but that's just the POR15 coating I have.

@45bvtc Do you get any smoking from your POR15 coatings? I've had it quite a lot now, the rim of my disc has turned dark orange/black and the centre is yellow haha. It makes me go easy on the brakes, because it isn't long before they start smoking and it's embarrassing. Had someone tell me earlier I had plumes of blue smoke coming from the car when I pulled in.

It can only be where you've ****** the clutch, especially if you've been moving through the gears having a bit of fun!

Its probably just because its new, my V8,s always smell after a good drive.

New car will always smell a hot oily/plastic smell

Its because everything is new and is settling in.
Only worry if its on fire :)

Reactions: Joe4842
Most new cars emit a plastic burning smell when driven hard.

Worry if it's still present in about 1000 miles.

Thanks, yes I haven't smelt anything since so hopefully was nothing serious

It can only be where you've ****** the clutch, especially if you've been moving through the gears having a bit of fun!

Having read some of the other comments and from general reading on the net, very highly doubt its this, it's an s-tronic and I haven't abused the car in any way...

New car will always smell a hot oily/plastic smell

Its because everything is new and is settling in.
Only worry if its on fire :)

Yes seems to be the case thanks