1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning smell

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by skanky, Oct 14, 2006.

1. skanky

skanky Member

just had a drive around today and noticed a sort of burning smell coming from the engine bay. even after a few hours of driving the smell is still there, also come into the cabin if the fan (and possibly aircon) is on.

it drives as usual but i did notice the rpms shoot to 4000 two or three times and i wasnt hard on the accelerator at all.

i know its a vague description to provide a solution to but any rough guesses to where i should start looking?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

Track down the smell! Just sniff about the engine bay and see where it is strongest. make sure you didnt get a bit of plastic stuck to the cat or something like that.

Rich

4. monkeytrousers

Could it be your clutch burning out? That would explain the revs shooting too.

5. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

Could be new engine time ?

6. skanky

skanky Member

hope its not the clutch :/

the only thing i've done recently is to cut a tiny piece of the heatshield covering a component of some sort (left hand side when standing from the front) when mounting the upper chassis brace. hope its just that and not the clutch.