1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning drivers door lock !!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by 951, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 951

951 Member

[Mar 6, 2009]
    Went to move my car which started fine this morning but the battery was now flat so i started it using my booster and left it running to charge the battery it was then i smelt burning and smoke started comming out of the drivers door card and when i touched the door lock i burnt my thumb ,it was just like touching a boiling kettle !!.I was starting to panic by this point and its the quickest i have removed a door card to unplug everything(yes i know now i should off disconected the battery but didnt think at the time). Ive found a black box on the inside of the door which was also red hot and smelt of burning it says heiz element on it so i presume its for heated door locks which i didnt know i had. Does it heat the mirrors as well,are they prone to buring out and should i replace it with new one or just not bother putting one back in ??
    [​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 6, 2009]
    (13) 4A0959981A

control unit for heated door handle-lock cylinder
    /

Thats the control box for the heater in the lock cylinders. Although if its got as hot as you describe i suspect something must be a little broken with it!
  4. 951

951 Member

[Mar 6, 2009]
    Im not sure if its the box that was faulty or maybe something in the lock cylinder caused the box to burn out ??
  5. 951

951 Member

[Mar 6, 2009]
    Ive just prised the control box apart and its completely burn out ,apears to have started from a 3 pin resistor/chip !!
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 6, 2009]
    thing is, did the door lock element short out the blow the control box, or did the control box die and cause the element to run overtime.

I'd put another control box in and see what happens.
  7. 951

951 Member

[Mar 6, 2009]
    Thats exactly what i was thinking,if can get another from the local breakers i will give it a try but to be honest i might just leave it without as untill today i did'nt even know they were fitted and i dont use the lock's anyway !!
  8. moschino

moschino Member

[Mar 8, 2009]
    If you don't use the locks then why bother replacing the unit. Just disconnect it so nothing else can happen in the future.
  9. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 8, 2009]
    If you dont use them then dont bother. It may throw a code in VAG but no serious consequences i can think of
  10. 951

951 Member

[Mar 8, 2009]
    I got one basically for free in with the centre console parts i bought. I fitted it yesterday and the car is not on fire yet !!