BurgoS3 Finally where I want it to be with a TTE420....Eventually

BurgoS3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After owning my S3 for nearly 2.5 I figured I'd share my experience with it. This is the first car that I have ever done any sort of modifications to so it's been an enjoyable learning curve

I'll start with brief description of my car history
1. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 sxi being my first ever car I confused confidence with driving ability and ended up writing this off with just 5000 miles on the clock

2. After writing the Astra off I used the insurance money to buy an Audi TT mk1 225 Quattro and to pay the astromonical insurance. I had this a couple of years and throughly enjoyed it until I sold it prior to moving to Australia

3. While in OZ I got my self a 2010 Ford falcon xr6 which was great until it rained or came to a corner

4. Upon returning to the UK I got myself a 57 plate S3 which again I thought was fantastic for the 6 days that I had it until the cam chain went and wiped out the engine. After a couple of months I managed to get my money back from the dealer.

5. After my previous experience I really enjoyed the S3 so I wasn't detered and knew that I wanted another one. Luckily I had a bit of windfall at work so decided that I would opt for a newer model with lower mileage and still under warranty. So I managed to pick up 2011 S3 black edition with just 13000 miles on the clock at the start of 2014 so it was still under warranty for 23k,this is still my current car

I was thrilled with the car and the first thing that I did was to put a full set of Goodyear eagle f1 asymetric 2 on it, I'd never been in a car that had so much grip round the corners. After having the car 6 weeks I got a knock on my front door with 2 burly guys claiming that they where taking the car away as it had outstanding finance on it. My heart sank and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I did a HPI check prior to purchase and it came back as having stock finance on it, I called the finance company to see what it was and was told it was normal for private garages to have stock finance to fund the cars on the forecourt and then its paid off once they sell the car and proof of this should be forwarded to me. I asked for the garage to email me this, which they did. I showed this to the bayliffs as well as my receipt for the vehicle as well as the V5. I called the garage and the number no longer existed and there website was gone. I contacted the finance company and they said the stock finance had not been paid off and the garage had closed and the owner could not be found, so they where collecting all the cars, as well as mine there was an M5, Nissan GTR, Range Rover sport. They also told me that the proof of the finance being paid off was fake. I reluctantly handed the keys over and saw my pride and joy being driven away. I was facing the very real prospect of being £23 k out of pocket. After seeking legal advice and £2k and 3 months later the car was returned me. I've never felt such relief. For anybody thinking this guy hasn't had much luck I'm glad to report it only gets better from here

Shortly after getting the car back I decided that I wanted a bit more from it (mainly due to this forum). So I bought myself a bluefin stage 1 map as I liked the idea of being able to remove it when taking it back to Audi as it was still under warranty and I wanted to keep the car with Full Audi service history. To me the difference was night and day and it put a massive grin on my face and said to myself that I would leave it like this, getting thrown back in my seat was a joy and the throttle response was immense.

After a month or so I felt like I wanted more but was wary of my clutch so I didn't want to go too far. I decided that I'd get a revo intake and pat @LVS Racing sorted me one out at a great price as well as ttrs engine cover. At the same time I also ordered a GFB+ Dv. These mods where easy to fit. The noise from the CAI was amazing and again I noticed an increase in the power and torque I was very happy with the car and said to myself I would leave it like this. I've also recently stuck a gecko and s3 badge on the cover

After about a year I felt my clutch slip a couple of times and decided that I would have to bite the bullet and do the clutch. As my warranty was now up I wasn't bothered about getting Oem installed. I regret that although there was a lot of info out there I didn't really take it in when choosing a flywheel and went for the Sachs performance single mass flywheel and clutch kit. It took a while to get used to and is a lot heavier than the OEM and I was concerned with the rattle at idle at first but this died down or I just got used to it but it doesn't bother me anymore. I also decided that I would get a milltek cat back Non resonated exhaust fitted at the same time as the clutch and flywheel. I was happy with the extra noise coming out of the back of the car. Here is where my lack of knowledge of tuning came in. As it was only £50 to update my bluefin to stage 2 I knew that the clutch would be fine and I already had the revo intake, here is the part I oversaw I confused the requirement for a sports cat with having a cat back exhaust. I uploaded the new map and could tell straight away that the car had more pull to it and was really pleased with it. For some reason I woke up one night and it hit me about the mistake I had made with the exhaust. Luckily the car had only done 100 miles on the set up. I removed the stage 2 map and put stage 1 back on. I was due back overseas with work for a couple of months so figured I'd deal with it when I get back

While away I decided that I would order a milltek downpipe, it then hit me that then all I'd need to go to stage 2+ would be a uprated hpfp so I went on the hunt for these items. Ricky @Tsr-performance sorted me out for the 2 items and was really helpful. I was searching the forums about what map to go for and was leaning towards revo as I liked the idea of the spa. I then got in touch with @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev, after great reviews on here and was able to do switchable maps, another plus is that I'm only 20 minutes away from him so I booked myself in for a stage 2 + map for when I got back home.

While still away at work I decided that if I'm going stage 2+ When I get home I should probably do something about the handling. After reading @leshkin build thread and asking him a few questions which he was very happy to answer and I decided that I would order a Yellowspeed big brake kit. I also got in touch with @S3Alex about how his previous rear set up. I opted to go for a set of Mtec grooved and dimpled disks with mintex pads. I then decided to order a set of front and rear H&R anti roll bars. Leshkin then sold having the WALK fitted was also a worthy upgrade to do so I ordered a set of them too. Suspension was then going to be the next thing to look for, I thought about coilovers but decided against them as I would probably end up messing the geometry up and have read that it can be a pain to get it right so I opted for ST Suspension sport suspension kit as I didn't really want the car lowering too much and there is nothing for me get wrong lol, I also ordered some rs3 top mounts and bearings from @mjr901. I then figured I would also get the RS4 return valve just for piece of mind

So I arrived home and i was like a kid at xmas as I came home to all the below

With time against me I had a week to get all the hardware on before going to rick. My first job was to fit the down pipe, so I could reinstall the blue fin stage 2 on, if only for a week. After finding a guide on this forum I decided to tackle it by myself on my drive on ramps and axle stands, the weather wasn't playing ball as you can see below

It wasn't too much of a bad job to do but I will admit I was a bit apprehensive about disconnecting the prob shaft at the front and swinging it over to get the old downpipe out, it was a bit of a wrestle but managed to get it past. The only issue I came across was where the cat back had previously been clamped to the Oem down pipe it had reduced the diameter so it would just not slot in to place. After sticking a white wheel and die grinder on the drill I was able to clean/remove enough from the cat back side for it to just slot on. I also noticed the rubber hangers had started to deteriorate so I cut them off and popped in to the local Audi to get some new ones. Once it was all fitted. I then reload the stage 2 bluefin after I'd let the car run for an hour and retightened the clamps. The difference it made was unreal, it gave the car a lot more growl. When I first put my foot down it flew like it had never done before it was obvious the car could breath much better now as there wasn't as much restriction for the exhaust gas.

Next on the list was to fit the Loba hpfp. I found @warren_S5 guide very helpful and informative. As the pump came with a new cam follower I changed that too as the car is now at 25k miles

As I had the fuel pump pump off I figured it would be a good time to change the fuel return valve for the rs4 one. I used a guide that I previously shared on this forum. I will admit that this was a pain in the **** with me nearly throwing the towel in on several occasions, but I got there in the end. I also figured this would be a good time to perform a service so replaced the oil and oil filter. Once it won I took the car for another spin and could feel that the car was more progressive in delivering the fuel and would pull even better than before. As the car was now ready for me to visit rick this Tuesday I was happy and went out for what I felt to be a few well deserved pints on the Friday night. I called up awesome GTi and booked in for them to fit my suspension, whiteline anti lift kit and forward anti roll bar as I didn't really fancy dropping the subframe myself.

On the Saturday I fitted the rear anti roll bar which was a doddle to fit. I couldn't believe the difference this made to the handling characteristics like I said earlier this week s the 1st car I'd modded and couldn't believe that just changing a bar could make such a difference, I set the bar to firm and it felt like the car was on rails

So yesterday came around and off I went to awesome for the the requested work. I also asked them to fit the lower torque arm insert that came with my downpipe which I forgot to fit when I did the exhaust. When fitting this the threads on the Oem dogbone mount had become stripped so I had the two mounts replaced. It turns out getting them to fit the suspension was a good move too as one of the front drop link bolts sheared, I would have been in trouble if this had happened on my drive. I got the two front drop links replaced. The Whiteline anti lift kit was also installed. I also had a four wheel alignment carried out. I was happy with the subtle drop in ride height and know it will drop a little more once settled

Here's the geometry print out

Before

After suspension fitted

I also picked up the Porsche oil and coolant caps as well as a black washer bottle cap while at awesome

cid:79EC3D33-1BCA-48D3-9B8D-C75B73D7622C

After throwing it around a few round abouts last night I can say I'm delight with the way car handles it's been totally transformed from when it was stock and the walk kit really does seem to activate more grip and compliments everything very well

I decided to start writing his thread while I'm sat in @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. waiting room while he tunes the car to Stage 2 +, he just popped in to say that all is currently good with the car and it running strong on the blue fin stage 2 with 330bhp and 340 ft.lbs torque which we where both surprised from a generic off the shelf map. After rick had finished working his magic the result was a very pleasing 364bhp and 372 ft.lbs torque. He pulled off the boost a little as there was a misfire happening occasionally at the top end so I'll be changing the coil packs and spark plugs and will head back for a tweak. The switching method of the maps from stock to the stage 2 + is nicely integrated in to the cruise control stalk.

After driving around this afternoon and evening I am totally taken aback by the difference and how the power is put down its fair to say I am totally happy with the car now. All the reviews about rick are true and he really is a genuinely nice guy and is very informative in what he is doing

My next next upgrade is to do the brakes which have taken up to 5 weeks already I've been applying the pressure to yellowspeed and have been informed I should receive them tomorrow, fingers crossed. I've also got a 42 draft designs stealth catch can to fit

As I am now totally happy with the car I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have helped me to get the car to this stage including @leshkin @S3Alex @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. @Tsr-performance @LVS Racing alex_wills, @mjr901

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope it's useful to anybody who is looking for more information about what these cars are capable off, I'm willing to answer any questions, I'll keep this updated the more I get used to having the car this way.

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing, THQuattro, saq85 and 12 others
An awesome start to a build thread Arran! Congrats on getting this much done in such a short time. The car must feel like a completely different beast now - very happy for you :)

Other than the brakes, any more plans for it?

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Thanks for that mate, your right it's like having a new car again

I'm thinking of maybe now starting on style mods with going for the full LED interior and number plate lights and then maybe going for the stealth look with black rings and smoking out the head lights

Reactions: leshkin, GGG_666 and S3Alex
Great write up mate, your S3 is looking top notch.

That sounded horrendous regarding the bailiffs etc. but I'm glad that you got your motor back in the end!

Definitely go for the LED interior lights, they're a cheap, easy mod and transform the car inside (more so at night) into looking much more upper class. I'm going to be tinting my lights and Plasti Dipping my grill black for the stealth look, but will definitely be keeping my rings chrome as I'm not a fan of black rings.

...that's a great story, my friend...You've made me realise how much modification I've got left to do! We must meet up sometime and compare notes - I'm near Bolton...so probably not far from you...

Cheers,

Simon

Great write up mate, your S3 is looking top notch.

That sounded horrendous regarding the bailiffs etc. but I'm glad that you got your motor back in the end!

Definitely go for the LED interior lights, they're a cheap, easy mod and transform the car inside (more so at night) into looking much more upper class. I'm going to be tinting my lights and Plasti Dipping my grill black for the stealth look, but will definitely be keeping my rings chrome as I'm not a fan of black rings.

Cheers mate, ill probably do the LED next week

...that's a great story, my friend...You've made me realise how much modification I've got left to do! We must meet up sometime and compare notes - I'm near Bolton...so probably not far from you...

Cheers,

Simon

Cheers Simon, yeah im not too far away im in glossop. If you need any advice il help if i can

So these eventually turned yesterday. Im getting them fitted tomorrow. They are really well made and seem massive. Ill post more pics when they are on and report on them once bedded on in
20160413 142034
20160413 145216
20160413 145143
20160413 145153

Reactions: voorhees, THQuattro and kash_v
ive just added it all up and it's just over £6.5k but that's not including labour, glad I've done it gradually lol

Reactions: kash_v and Donny_DJ
I don't want to count how much I've spent over last year :)

Reactions: THQuattro
So an interesting day today, I came off a roundabout today in 2nd put my foot down a bit and it just seemed to stop pulling after 3500 revs, I changed up but it was like the car went into limp mode. I got home and scanned it with my pro scan and got 00564 selection lever e313 sporadic 001- upper limit exceeded. I took off my intake and engine cover, I could see that the retaining clip for the shift linkage has a piece of plastic snapped off, it's the white piece in the pics below. Should hopefully pick up a new clip tomorrow

I then drove it to my local garage who scanned it with a snap on diagnostic tool and he got boost pressure regulation limit exceeded (over boost condition) p0234 upper limit reached. I've done a fair bit of research online about this fault and it seems to be common on turbo diesels with a fault with the turbo being stuck or clogged up. Even resulting with the turbo needing replaced.Has anybody else had this on an s3. I noticed I had a couple of misfires last night and had planned to change the spark plugs today before this happened. I got it reset and headed home with caution and haven't had a chance to do anymore testing

I've pm'd a couple of vcds user near by as I want to know what the fault is and go from there hopefully not a new turbo, there isn't any unusual noise coming from the turbo when running, apart from a couple of misfires its ran smooth since going to stage 2+ last week.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Just a quick update, I got the car scanned with vcds the day after the above problem and it was clear of faults. The car was then fine for a couple of weeks and it happened again, I've not reset the fault code yet but the car is driving normal again, but I'm not sure if it's down on power a bit. I've also recently just fitted a forge catch can and replaced the coil pack and spark plugs. I'm trying to get booked in with @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. to get it on the rolling road to and do some logs

I've also installed the interior LED lights and it's brought the interior up to date

I've not posted for a while as I've been away with work but I was able to get a couple of things done to the car today. I replaced my rocker cover as I wasn't happy with how the the forge catch can pcv plate sat on it as it appeared to be a little deformed and I could see the orange pcv gasket, I was using a 42 draft designs one to get by but I'm happy how the forge one sits now. It was a straight forward job with the only difficult part was removing one of the hoses on the back. I gave the surfaces where he new was gasket was going to sit a clean and inspected the cam lobes for any wear/damage and found non

I also fitted the the push clutch to start bypass wire harness from @george_seamons which was easy fit and the most difficult part was removing and reinstalling the hose clip on the turbo intake, I didn't have any large enough jubilee clips lol.

Next up was to install some H&R wheel spacers that I got from @MICHAEL PARKER im happy with the stance and I feel it's made a difference to the look of the car and makes the car feel even more planted. 12mm front and 15 mm rear
After spacers

Before

While I had the rear drivers wheel up I also changed the fuel filter as its never been changed and the cars at 25k miles now

I've got some pressed plates and heko wind deflectors turning up this week too as well visiting unicorn just to make sure everything is running fine. Also think I need to dig out the soap and polish as its been sat for a couple of months

Reactions: Patrico777, leshkin, S. and 1 other person
That's a fantastic read Arran. Your work will be done when your stickers go on :)

Reactions: 45bvtc, S3Alex and BurgoS3
Fitted interior and number plate LED kits today, just waiting for it to get dark now ...........

Reactions: Dannymoto and S.
Im really happy how the LED's bring e car up to date, I'll take pics when it's dark but this weathers too good not to be sat in the beer garden. I also took delivery of some more goodies today, Some pressed number plates, team HEKO wind deflectors and some Audi-sport.net stickers.

I'm really pleased with how these plates look, only £17 off eBay so we will see how long they last

I like how the and deflectors really blend but also give it a bit more of an aggressive look

Showing my support for the forum too

I also took the car to unicorn yesterday to make sure everything was running fine and to also see if we could replicate the overboost regulation fault I was getting a few months back but didn't manage it and rick said the car is running really strong and everything is fine. He gave me the print out and I have gained nearly an extra 9 BHP, the items changed since then last map includes coil packs and the fuel filter or maybe it's the Audi-sport.net stickers, lol maybe @Sandra was telling the truth haha.

Reactions: Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. and leshkin
Glad you got the stickers. Told you they better than go fast stripes, lol
:)!

Dropped the car off at awesome gti this morning to have the following performed
TTE420 installed
Wagner Intercooler installed
155 bar fuel pressure return valve
Ttrs LPFP installed
Forge DV and throttle body hoses installed
Cam belt and water pump replaced
Oil pick up pipe replaced
Full service
Should all hopefully be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon before taking it to rick to work his magic on Wednesday morning

Reactions: Carlos85 and HHS3
So figured I would give a quick update. So I got all the above fitted and collected the car on Tuesday evening and drove it to rick (off boost) on Wednesday morning. Again he said that it was running well and producing what it was before the additional hardware was installed. After a couple of hours tinkering he came back to me with not the greatest news, he could only get it to make 387bhp and similar torque. He said that he was struggling to hold boost. He seemed to think it could either be the actuator or a boost leak as the new intercooler had only just been installed aswell as the turbo the day before. I called awesome to book in for a book leak test and the next available slot was today.

Over the weekend I decided to get under the car and check all the hoses and couldn't find anything untoward. However I did find the cause of an annoying intermittent knock I had been getting when sometimes coming to a standstill. I found one of the bolts that clamps the forward anti roll bar on the drivers side to the sub frame this be loose. I tried to tighten it up but it would just spin, I removed it and found that the threads had gone on it, I went to my local tps and got a couple more, when I put a new bolt in it would tighten up more but would just spin when I tried to torque it up. Which meant that the thread on the nut attached to the clamp was also threaded. I decided to drill the nut out being carefull not to touch the subframe with the bit. I put a new bolt and nut in and torqued it up Andy as of yet have had no more knocking. If it comes back I'll have a proper look at the subframe but all the bolts seemed tight

Anyway, back to today I took the car to awesome and told them in more detail about what was happening and that basically the car isn't holding boost and to get the 1.5 bar that it was at before the upgrades the n75 has to be at 100%. They told me that they have had a similiar problem in the past with one of the tte420's and they spent a while trying all sorts of fixes checking for leaks etc before eventually removing the turbo. They found that on the waste gate there was a problem with the alignment and it wasn't sealing properly. They seem pretty confident that this is the problem. They are therefore going to replace the turbo under warranty with no extra cost for labour etc. I left the car with them and should have it back before the weekend. For now I get to buzz around in a Ibiza fr that they have provided me with

Reactions: S. and leshkin
Sounds like solid progress. Hopefully the new unit works properly.

My TTE420 seems to hold boost well, so hoping Rick can do his thing and get the map tweaked to work better with the recent upgrades.

Sounds like solid progress. Hopefully the new unit works properly.

My TTE420 seems to hold boost well, so hoping Rick can do his thing and get the map tweaked to work better with the recent upgrades.

Yeah I was a bit concerned to be honest but it looks like it should all get sorted

So I picked the car up from awesome today, they had discovered a small boost leak on the intake manifold and more importantly they dound that the wastegate sealing face wasn't central. They replaced the turbo with a new unit.

Rick managed to squeeze me in so that he could remap again as the car would overboost if I'd left the current map on. As expected it did, he set about performing his magic

Now the bad news, rick informed me that he was struggling with mis fires above 5.5k he said that it looks like it's suffering from valve float. I know that this has been an issue with some cars that where released in 2008 And from then on stronger valve springs where used. As mine is a 2011 model has anybody else experienced this. I got a quote from Awesome to supply and fit and it coming in at £1750-1850, which is a bit more than I was expecting it's using apr's uprated springs at £700 plus 9-10 hours labour, also they said it would need the timing chain serviced, and the tensioner is this necessary? Super tech also do a valve spring kit at around £300 has anybody used them?

Wow what a read, just gone from the start what a horrific start to your ownership and hats off for sticking with it and putting all the work in, car is looking and sounding fantastic and I hope you get this final bit sorted, seems the car will be an animal once done!

Reactions: BurgoS3
Wow what a read, just gone from the start what a horrific start to your ownership and hats off for sticking with it and putting all the work in, car is looking and sounding fantastic and I hope you get this final bit sorted, seems the car will be an animal once done!

Cheers mate, in a way it made me more determined to get what I can out of the car, I've got the end in sight and I'm too far in to it not to see it through. I was thinking of adding wmi at a later date but that money will be used for valve springs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: NFox and leshkin
That's the spirit! I know all about this feeling unfortunately.

Hopefully you get the issues sorted out mate and get on with enjoying what the car has to offer.

Awesome build thread :) Really enjoyed reading about all that you've done and I'm v pleased for you that your luck seems to have changed !

Reactions: BurgoS3
So a bit of a update - I got the valve springs changed for the supertech ones after speaking to TSR a few weeks ago. I again went back to rick hoping that everything would now be sorted. On the dyno it went and it started misfiring consistently this time at 4.5k revs and always on cylinder 2. We changed over the plugs and coils with the other units and the problem was still always on cylinder 2. We also did a compression test and it was the same as the other cylinders. This is leading me to think that is possibly an injector, any thoughts? I had to drive to Bremen in Germany the next day where I am until mid January. Does anybody know of any specialist's that around this area who could take a look at it

what a build, if the injectors are the culprit i'm pretty sure you can get them refurbished. Could you poss get a side on shot of the car on level ground? :) just want to see how the ST kit looks.

what a build, if the injectors are the culprit i'm pretty sure you can get them refurbished. Could you poss get a side on shot of the car on level ground? :) just want to see how the ST kit looks.
Hi mate sorry for the delay I've been busyIMG 0462

Reactions: kash_v
Thanks mate. Out of interest what clutch are you running?

It was a bit quiet in work this week so figured I'd look into my misfire a bit more. I did a full leak down test and the results where all good

I've also slowly been collecting a few pieces that I'd like to add to the car. Which included , runner flap delete, and rs3 injectors as I figured if the injector is the culprit why not upgrade them. I did however also get one stock injector also in case I changed my mind about fitting the rs3's and waiting to get back to the uk

So the first part was to remove the inlet manifold I used this guide. The job wasn't too bad to be fair http://op.stfu.se/cupra/guides/2.0TFSIInletManifoldInjectorValveCleanGuide.pdf

One thing I did notice was the gunk that had quickly built up in my catch can due to the cold weather and the short runs to and from work. I'd never seen it in he pcv plate before
IMG 0464

As I lifted the manifold off all 4 injectors came out with it, which kind of made my mind up to put the rs3 injectors in instead of just replacing number 2 for a stock one. Mainly due to the fact that all the plastic holders of the injectors had cracked and I didn't need want to be doing the job again. I only had enough seal kits to do 4 injectors.

I inspected #2 injector and found that the trifling seal had a chip in it and the o ring had a slight knick in it but didn't think this would cause the misfire and the tip was pretty much in the same condition as the other three
IMG 0463 IMG 0460 IMG 0459

I also stuck a boroscope down into each cylinder. While 3 of the pistons had pretty similiar marks on the top of each of them, #2 was completely different and was fully covered with carbon

IMG 0473 IMG 0474 IMG 0475 IMG 0476
This again confirmed that #2 injector wasn't right.

I installed the new rs3 injectors in place with the modified wiring harness and then removed the runner flaps from the manifold before reinstalling it

IMG 0472
The valves where pretty clean but gave them a quick once over (my battery died so no after pic)

I also replaced the cam follower aswell as oil and filter.

After I cleared all the Stc's with vcds I started the car up. It sounded a bit lumpy at first but then it all settled down after a minute. As I've got switchable maps I decided to put it back to stock a small I would still get the misfire before. After everything had warmed up and performed another vcds scan, which only threw up one code but that was for the flap motor that I left disconnected. I went for a spin, I'm glad to sat that when I went wide opened throttle the misfire was not there. The car drives smoothly and there is no smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm still a bit dubious whether to put it on the "power map" as I think it's best that it's looked at by rick, we are looking at options to do it remotely. Or I may wait until I'm back in the uk early next year and get it booked in with him or r-tech

Reactions: HHS3 and leshkin
Sounds like a great result! Is the car running OK with stock map and RS3 injectors? I'm just thinking about how I can swing the injector install and mapping at Rick's.

Also, that's quite a bit of carbon in there. Are you planning to clean that out?