1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bump n' Grind [not the good kind]

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by A3_Rider, Oct 28, 2011.

1. A3_Rider

A3_Rider Member

When I am driving I hear a metallic scraping noise from the back of the car, at first it was as if a steel girder (!!) was under my car, I pull over and check and nothing is there and the exhaust is fine not loose.

Today I drive off and it happened again but I carried on, it got so loud I thought either the car would fall apart or the exhaust would drop off. Then I slow down, nothing, after going over a slight bump its back and went away after that.

There is no loss of power or drivability, braking, etc. I am assuming someone has threw a few stones in the exhaust and they are deep in, but the noise doesn't act continious.

My car has done this twice now over the last month and a half.

A3 V6 DSG
  2. Red-Eye

Red-Eye Member

I had a simular problem once before, it was a stone caught between the rear disc heat shield and the disc. Does it make the same noise in reverse? also going in reverse knocked the stone out ;-)
    Give it a go, hope this helps.
  3. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

as said above if its not a stone then it could even be the heat shield its self could have bent a bit and is catching the disk that makes a nasty noise to fix that literly push the heat shield away a bit from the disk its easy you don't have to push it a lot just a little bit , you can even do that with the wheel still on if you have got big gaps in your wheels to get your hand in there saves taking it off lol
  4. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

Had this sound to dude! randomly my cars a 1.8tfsi was going into car park all of a sudden hear this terrible noise as though the exhaust has fallen off and its scraping the floor. Look around the car nothing drive off and it happens again...Go over a bump it stop i was like huh...Never happened again.

I to think it was maybe a stone or something caught in between brakes or a rotating part which caused it.
  5. zseano

zseano Member

^^ This. I had the exact same problem.. I was driving and bam scraping noise so I pulled over and everything was fine. Drove a bit and still there.. got worse. Pulled out and took wheel off and found a big stone stuck in rear disc heat shield
  6. TM

TM S-line SB

I've had the same thing previously also, like others have mentioned its most likely a stone stuck between the heat shield! Horrible sound!