1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulbs

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by dublinS4, May 18, 2011.

1. dublinS4

dublinS4 Member

Hi all. i knew i needed a rear bulb holder, but didnt order for a while. I eventually bought one after my warning light appeared on the lcd display. Before i fitted it, i had a look around the car. When i press the brake, the driver side front side light lights.... The rear centre brake light is partially lit(when the lights are turned on), and when pressing the brake, it lights as it should.Im baffled. It all happened together.. Any ideas?. Cheers

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

You have fitted a single filament bulb into the stop/tail bulb position.

4. dublinS4

dublinS4 Member

No..... Im stumped. Although i did put an after market jvc head unit in just before all this happened.

#3 dublinS4, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

What you describe is caused by the "brake" and "sidelight" contact in the bulb holder being shorted together. The usual cause is that someones fitted a single filament bulb instead of the proper twin filament stop tail.

When you brake power is back fed down the sidelight wiring and lights up the drivers sidelight, and similarly when the sidelights are on it goes in the other direction and feeds power to the brake light.

If it is a twin filament bulb thats fitted, then i'd change it out with a new one and/or inspect all the contacts in bulb holder.