Bulbs to replace Halogen DRL

MIV:

Don't know what wattage they are, maybe Denty can let us know what the packaging says on his when they arrive.

I've just checked mine, and they generally seem ok. One was a bit wedged in down the bottom of the light housing and has now got some black marks on it where it was firmly sitting.

If you want to be 100% sure of no melting or warming, you could pass the wires out of the light housing and let them "hang" free from touching anything, and re-secure the light access cover. This will keep them cool as the airflow of the engine bay will be far better than the airtight seal of the lights themselves.

The main reason why these were so good for me, was that another forum member said they worked fine with no DIS errors, and were an easy install.

No, they're 6.8 ohms and will get hot. However, clamp wires to the connectors at each end and mount the case on the nearest piece of metal (the case is insulated from the resistor so wont short) and connect the wires to the appropriate bulb wires with scotchlock connectors as with the others.

The metal acts as a heatsink and therefore the heat is dissipated evenly and safely.

Vorsprung Collective is my site and I wrote the 'DIY' mentioned previously - I'm running 25W 10ohm resistors now.

I occasionally get errors at night when my auto lights come on when I start the engine and my compressors kick in for my air ride. Before I had the air ride installed I didn't have any errors.

Well, I say that, but I did have an intermittent error due to the scotch locks not forming a proper connection. At some point, I would suggest soldering in your choice of resistor.

It seems to depend on the current drawn by all the accessories that come on with the car. Auto lightings, etc.

I wrote that guide as just that, a guide. I hope it's helped some people along the way, but I can't promise it will work for every application. Unfortunately, it's a case of trial and error!

Are these genuine??

48d323f1.jpg

ahhh lol
na thats the packing, nothing to worry about
btw have you got a link to the seller?

when it cane to the sidelights, how did yo get them out, ive looked at them before and the look really tough to reach (ive got fairly big hands) did you pull them out by the wire or were you able to get hold of the bulb holder?

and cheers for the links!

Pull the DRL's out first then just yank the sides out by the holder or wires if you have to. I don't have large hands so it wasn't hard!

When you put them back in you will find it much easier if you have the lights switched on.

You can then manoeuvre into position easily

Last edited:
Tried my new resistors today and they started to melt the housing after 2 half hour trips, but no bulb warnings!! I'm going to revert to mirror finished halogen bulbs to be safe lol

I got my Mtec bulbs and was going to fit the bi-xenons today but my sisters house caught fire last night so have been over there all day sorting things out for her.
Will try and fit in tomorrow and see how it goes.

Boydie, do you have any pics of how it looks now with the PIAA bulbs?

Tried my new resistors today and they started to melt the housing after 2 half hour trips, but no bulb warnings!! I'm going to revert to mirror finished halogen bulbs to be safe lol

Sorry to hear that miv, mine seem fine, although since this post was created, I have re-located mine to the outside of the light housing in the engine bay to be on the safe side.... everybody made me paranoid!

Sorry to hear that miv, mine seem fine, although since this post was created, I have re-located mine to the outside of the light housing in the engine bay to be on the safe side.... everybody made me paranoid!

Don't worry, your guide was very helpful, but I'm just not happy with the heat that is generated so will still to halogens for now lol

well i got these LED's offa ebay, fitted them with the clip on resistors offa ebay aswell....PERFECT! cheer mate! the resisors do get a bit hot so i just leave them dangiling out of the light enclosure in the engine bay - no probs at all and no fault codes at all:hubbahubba: V happy.

Reactions: NME
How are those lights working out for you Boydie?

I want to go down that route but not liking the horror stories of bulb housings frying!

Nice one dude - They may well be worth a try for the money, looks like they are actually the correct wattage as well where as the PIAA aren't by the looks of things..27w?!

Should have probably read to the end before going and buying anything, but I went ahead and ordered the 3 ebay things NME had listed. I'm not fussed that I could have just nipped down to Maplins, as long as the ones I got work fine. Oh well, they're here now anyway, so I'll get them on and get a few before/after pics up too. I take it I don't actually need the amber LEDs that came with the resistors, right?

Should have probably read to the end before going and buying anything, but I went ahead and ordered the 3 ebay things NME had listed. I'm not fussed that I could have just nipped down to Maplins, as long as the ones I got work fine. Oh well, they're here now anyway, so I'll get them on and get a few before/after pics up too. I take it I don't actually need the amber LEDs that came with the resistors, right?

yea thats right mate - u dont need the amber led bulbs....im gonna see what they look like on one of my mk1 golfs...

Just remember to let the resisters hang in the bay, not the light enclosure.......all good!

Quick question, am I putting red on brown or red on yellow for the resistors? Does the polarity really matter? Also, how the hell do you get the little <expletive>s on the wire? I got the bulbs in fine, but the error's coming up that there's no DRL bulb because I can't get the resistors onto the actual wires!

Last edited:
Quick question, am I putting red on brown or red on yellow for the resistors? Does the polarity really matter? Also, how the hell do you get the little <expletive>s on the wire? I got the bulbs in fine, but the error's coming up that there's no DRL bulb because I can't get the resistors onto the actual wires!

The resistors go in parallel with the bulbs i.e. one side to red and the other side to yellow ! Connect them with scotchlock connectors or similar.

The resistors go in parallel with the bulbs i.e. one side to red and the other side to yellow ! Connect them with scotchlock connectors or similar.

Yeah, took a second to figure out that they don't go to yellow or brown, but across the two. Not quite 100% today.

The resistors came with attached connectors, but the shearing bit doesn't seem to cut into the wire properly (stupid Audi build quality is too good) so I can't get them on. Might nip down to Maplins in the morning and see if they have something more appropriate/easier to attach, unless anyone has any tips?

These arrived Saturday morning (or maybe Friday, not thinking straight today).
800x600P5210004.jpg

Before:
P5060020.jpg

800x600P5220006.jpg

Fitted:
800x600P5220005.jpg

After:
800x600P5220007.jpg

800x600P5220008.jpg

But, like I said, I couldn't get the resistors onto the wires so the DIS is beeping at me saying there's no DRL bulbs in.

Yeah - best bet is Maplins. Try and keep the resistors away from any plastic because they will get hot !

Don't buy resistors - just buy scotchlock connectors and use them with the resistors you have been sent.

You can buy them at Halfords or Motorsave etc. rather than Maplins. Just remove the existing ones that you can't get to clip properly and use some new ones.