1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bulb out warning after HID install

Oranoco Sep 4, 2011

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Will be fitting my HID kit today and am expecting the bulb out indicator to come on. What do I do to get it to work normally? I would assume a resister in line at the old bulb wiring should suffice but what value

2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

It should be fine.

AFAIK the S4 uses the same bulb monitoring unit as normal A4's so as long as your HID's are actually decent you shouldnt get any warnings.

Oranoco likes this.
  3. Oranoco

Oh right, cool. Well I made sure I got a set with the better AC ballasts so here's hoping.

BTW don't you ever sleep? Doesn't seem to matter when I pop on line you're not far away. LoL

4. Oranoco

Well aragorn struck with his stereotypical accuracy. Lights installed and no bulb out indicator.

Sad thing is I'm really looking forward to it getting dark now so I can trial them.

5. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

If it's an S4, didn't they have HID as standard? Pre-facelift i had, had them. And every other S4 i've seen has them??

Dan

6. aragorn

Oranoco has an A4.

7. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

Ah, I got confused with your earlier post, 'AFAIK S4' bit.

8. Oranoco

I can also confirm that swapping from pin 10 to pin 8 on the multiplug at the control stalk works perfectly as well.

Thanks aragorn :thumbsup:

9. aragorn

Dan: i just meant that the S4 with its HID's used the same module as the A4 with halogens.

Oranoco: it was a while ago i told you about that pin mod lol! only just getting round to it now?

10. Oranoco

This is the third kit I've ordered :(

1. Didn't arrive, chased it and was offered another kit but they only had 8000k or 10000k which are far too blue so opted for a refund
    2. Was never dispatched by the seller had to raise a dispute before getting refunded
    3. Arrived Thursday.

I was about ready to give up. lol

As for the pin swap I remembered but searched on here to double check.

Just to update the drive home from the missus place was brilliant. The transformation is night and day, I can actually see where I'm going now. Beam pattern seems good with a uniform distribution of light and not dazzling to other road users. My only negative is even the 6000k seem a bit on the blue side and I really would have preffered the 4300k.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  11. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

i get a bulb out ping when I turn off my HID's.
    doesnt bother me as it doesnt show normally