1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulb error after HID attempt

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Xmay4444, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Xmay4444

Xmay4444 On Point!!

[Aug 23, 2009]
    HI all,
    I really need some help/advice.
    I just tried to fit a HID kit and got it working but my front left indicator did not work and I got a bulb out warning on the DIS. So I took it out and replaced it with the original stuff, but the bulb still wont work and the warning is still there.:banghead:
    How can I reset the DIS so I can start again will disconecting the battery work?
    :sos:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 25, 2014]

3. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Aug 23, 2009]
    I had same problem on my old car. It turned out the HIDS were fine and the reason for the warning was the actual connection to the indicator - I must have caused it when messing around fitting the hids....

Try putting your hazzards on and give the headlamp a slight tap near the indicator side first, failing that then fiddle with the wires for the indicator and see if that helps!
  4. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Aug 24, 2009]
    Take the indicator bulb out and check the contacts around the round black plastic bulb holder removable part. You may need to just slightly bend the metal contacts of the removable part to make decent contact with the Headlight assembly.

Had this a couple of times - once embarrassingly during an MOT and the DIS said nothing!
    Replaced the bulb was OK - got home went again came up on the DIS - adjusted the contacts as described above and ended up putting the original bulb back in - all OK now.
  5. Xmay4444

Xmay4444 On Point!!

[Aug 24, 2009]
    Thanks guys, I will have a good look at it when it comes back from my local dealer as it is in for a serrvce.
    I have also noticed a very high pitched noise from the headlight unit when the lights are swithched on, but it then stopps after about a minute.
    Wny ideas?
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 24, 2009]
    If the HIDS are still fitted, its the sound of them powering/warming up
  7. Woorlord

Woorlord shifting to Hyperspace... . VCDS Map User

[Aug 24, 2009]
    HID's need to generate typically 23kV (23,000v) from your car battery's 12v so utilise high frequency inverter technology to do so. You are hearing the transformer windings buzzing at these high frequencies!

This is normal.
  8. audimatt

audimatt Member

[Aug 24, 2009]
    Hi, sorry to sort of go off topic..
    I'm looking into getting a HID kit; do i need H7 bulbs for my B6. Thanks
  9. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Aug 24, 2009]
    Yes, you need H7. Stick to 4300k - 5000k if you're not a poser. There's a guy in my neighbourhood who has 8000k's fitted in his B6, the amount of glare and colour is ridiculous.
  10. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

[Aug 24, 2009]
    I have 6K....and to think about it, Im a poser too but that was way before my 6k's!!!:cool:
  11. Xmay4444

Xmay4444 On Point!!

[Aug 24, 2009]
    That whine i was talking about, at first I too thought it was the ballasts, but It's still there after I took the HID kit out.
    I'm now gonna have to drive around without a front indicator till I can have a good look at my headlight unit prpoerly.

PS my lights are not OEM by the way, (see my avatar).