bulb change

Hi all.
Ill try this again.
Is there an easy way to change a bulb in the rear light clusters, near side has a metal wiring plate in the way and the off side seems even tighter. The hand book says to have the bulb replaced at an audi service centre. Does it require the removal of said plate etc. many thanks.

chippie,

You really should be able to get enough access to change bulbs in the tail-lights, certainly without going to a dealership. I've replaced the whole clusters on my A3, and a friend's ess, and also done a one-off brake-light bulb for him too.

If you remove the upper side-trim panels in the boot, is your access blocked from this point on?

Ordinarilly you should be able to get your hand in far enough to be able to un-clip the electrical connector and gently pinch the two tabs toward each-other and remove the bulb-holder:

a94-0444.jpg

Can't you get in this far?

Could you possibly get to the four nuts (10mm if memory serves) in each corner of the back of the cluster to remove it? You might be able to get in that way... I'm confused about what's blocking access for you though chap...

Regards,

Rob.

thanks for the reply.
i have no problem geting to the holder and releasing the clips, but when trying to remove it it only pulls back about an inch before hiting a metal bracket, not enough to clear the bulbs from the lense, if that makes any more sence. i haven't needed to change a bulb yet, i was giving it a quick once over before its MOT and there is no bulb in the neerside fog light, so thought i'd ask the question while it was on my mind and not when a bulb has gone, geting very frustrated, taking the skin of my knuckels and breaking something. thanks again, mick.

[ QUOTE ]
there is no bulb in the neerside fog light

[/ QUOTE ]

There rarely is. It's very common to not have a reflector or the correct 'E' approved lens on the nearside on a RHD car. There may well be no wiring to that bulbholder too.

The left rear lights are a tight fit to get out, but it is possible, although the bulbs might scrape a little on the surround as you squeeze the whole cluster out.
I think it's also easier if you pull the plug out of the cluster - it pulls down, you can see it clearly in the image that has already been posted.