1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bugs, Stone chips and Stripping!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by terrymcg, Sep 7, 2007.

1. terrymcg

terrymcg Member

[Sep 7, 2007]
    Was wondering if somebody could answer a few queries for me please:

1. What is good for shifting bug splats and the dead bug juice they leave behind on the paint? I had a quick shifty at the reverse side of the Megs Lambswool mitt and thought better of it as it looked like it may scratch. Is there any good product, as they are an absolute pain to shift?

2. Is there any good product for hiding stone chips in balck paint? I dont want to go down the route of wet sanding! I will defo need a respray after that!

3. When it comes round to time to polish the car again, how do you go about getting all the wax off prior to polishing again, or do you just go on top?

Cheers

Terry
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 20, 2014]

3. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[Sep 8, 2007]
    question1- there are dedicated removers, i think one is called Autoglym bug and tar remover

question2- maybe you could employ the services of a pro detailer who could do the wet sanding for u aswell as give it a good polish?

question3 - to get old wax off and start on a fresh canvas so to speak i just used good old fairy liquid in the bucket, its harsher than your normal shampoo's etc so works well.

hope that heps somewhat terry
  4. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Sep 8, 2007]
    Isn't fairy liquid really bad for your paint? Because of the salts in it or something...
  5. jr001

jr001 Member

[Sep 8, 2007]
    Yip. There's Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner available from Ploished Bliss that you can foam and wash your car with. Or, megs safe degreaser. I'd then give it a clay.

A paint cleanser is also a good item to have in your kit. Terry, if you've bought the JEFFS acrylic kit (not sure if I read that you were buying this or not), then the PRIME is a cleanser and just follow the instructions. This removes previous final stage products too.

If you want some all purpose cleaner then I've got some I can give you to try. Just let me know and we can sort arrangements. I'm in Brightons, by Polmont. I've got loads of tar and glue remover too.

JOHN
  6. terrymcg

terrymcg Member

[Sep 9, 2007]
    John,

I never the got the JEFFS kit in the end. I went for Menzerna FTG and Poorboys Natty Blue.

Got to say, what a difference to the usuall cheap stuff from Halfords. Stunning finish!

Will have to arrange to meet up, would love to see your motor and the condition of the paint. Seeing it might persuade me to part with some cash! Although dont think mine is too severe at the moment and the stuff I got from PB did an awesome job of hiding any of the swirls. Would put a picture up, just not sure how! In fact just noticed in the posting rules box at the bottom on my login it says " You may not post attachments" but I am allowed to do everything else, whats that about!?

Although still cant shift the splatted bug juice!

Terry
  7. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Sep 11, 2007]
    Hi Terry, to shift the bug splatter this potion works very well...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb125clean.html

...but it will also strip off the wax protection, meaning you will have to rewax after every use. You should find if you can build up more than 2-3 layers of wax on the paint that the bugs become a lot easier to wash off with just normal suds and the soft side of the mitt. Regarding the stone chips, there is nothing other than some of the cheap colour magic style products available on the high street, but these don't leave a great finish, so my advice is to live with the chips until such time as you can have them remedied. As for removing old product residues before re-polishing, John said it perfectly above!

:)