1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buggered water pump!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by nlw73, Oct 3, 2005.

1. nlw73

nlw73 Member

[Oct 3, 2005]
    had a bit of a shocker last week when driving home...

could smell heat coming from somwhere and then the water light comes on and the temp soars on the car.

naturally pull over and Audi roadside come to the rescue within 45 mins! top work

diagnosis is water pump is fecked but all being done under warranty plus the cambelt has been renewed as well so saves me paying for a job! I could not believe they would contemplate putting an old belt back on when already off and 4 years old!!

mind you nothing ceases to amaze me when it comes to saving money these days!

bruecy bonus. also got the thermostat and AFM checked over but clean bill of health

Audi West London are a good bunch n Gary on the service is a good bloke keeping me up to date.

I had got an A6 2.7 loan car! jesus it is a real boat and can't wait to get the S back.

car i s60k miles on 51 plate so known weakness I hear so beware all you people out there with the cars of similar age n miles but no warranty!

glad I got that warranty as this is the 2nd claim! last one was about a grands worth n this must be best part of 500 with labour n the courtesy car!!

result n best 550 I ever spent on extending it in december last year!

The S is going up for sale BTW so if anyone knows anyone then let me know.

asking for 13k n spec is on trading section,

have decided to get a 996 with GT3 bodykit n sports exhaust as had great quarter at work!

can't bloody wait for the growl of the 996!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. nlw73

nlw73 Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    just got the tomato back from audi in WEST LONDON (A4 near Gillette corner) and what a top bunch.

all sorted plus they put a new cam belt on and checked all the tensioners and so on so that saves me a big job.

just got to put it up on the market now.

happy motoring

NLW
  4. evotista

evotista Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    nlw,

Your lucky the timing didn't go awry and truly bend the valves in the engine! This all adds to yet another thread where someones cambelt/waterpump has gone AWOL way before the audi recommendation of 80k/115k miles (dependant on S3 age).......it seems like all of us running 1.8T lumps should really budget to do the cambelt/pump change at 60k max....any longer and you start running more and more of a risk.
  5. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Oct 6, 2005]
    did my 98 1.8 NA a3 at 93K, both the tensioner and the water pump looked brand new. Shows you never can tell.
  6. nlw73

nlw73 Member

[Oct 7, 2005]
    even if it went bang I would just throw it back at them and say fix it!

I did say to the warranty guy...don't tell me you are going to APPROVE putting an old belt on there!

you cannot be that hard up or stupid!

if the engine goes pop in 5k miles you will have a much bigger bill!!

that warranty was the best 500 pounds I ever spent!

I would say to everyone get it done if you have a 3-4 year old plus car.

NLW
  7. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Oct 7, 2005]
    Hi NLW,

is that the Audi warranty or another company? if so which one as it sounds like they've been pretty good so far?

Cheers,

Ben.
  8. nlw73

nlw73 Member

[Oct 7, 2005]
    audi warranty ben

they have been great in fact
    even replacing things with a slight wear!

well worth it!
  9. noslojo

noslojo Member

[Oct 7, 2005]
    When you get the 996 make sure you get a warranty with that as the engine seals can go (known weakpoint) and it's about £16k for a new engine but Porsche are currently subsiidising to £4k - Its about £750 a year for a Porsche warranty if I remember rightly - this is an issue with all the water cooled engines including new 997, Boxster and Gayman (i mean Cayman). Not sure about the 4x4 as I don't think it's the same six cylinder engine in any of them.
  10. The Slug

The Slug Active Member VCDS Map User

[Oct 7, 2005]
    yeah sounds like audi warranty is good value, and you get audi uk roadside too, might take up the extended warranty when mines due!
  11. nlw73

nlw73 Member

[Oct 7, 2005]
    no slo jo

the 996 I am looking at has a full porsche warranty until august 2006 and I would not even think of not renewing it!

my mate owns it so I know the car well. had a slight fault with gear selction and they replaced the whole gearbon n clutch assemly.

also had new rads n cooling as common fault.

it is actually one of the bearing rods that fail on the enigne on the early 3.4s but they have all been sorted and if they have not gone yet then they won't.

why take the risk with such a car.
  12. nickel101

nickel101 Member

[Oct 14, 2005]
    yeah happened to my A3 1.8T, the impellor has shattered into 4 main chunks, and experiencing rapid overheating.

All fixed, now, but I it's a bitch to remove it and had have the whole coolant system flushed incase any shards had made it around the system..

time consuming = expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif