Bucket seats

Marston

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good set of well priced bucket seats for an s3?

Corbeau Clubsport.

£300 for a pair, with sliders and side mounts. ****** excellent. Cannot be beaten for the money.

@16Klappe has pics of them in his old S3.

Reactions: scotty_24
Corbeau Clubsport.

£300 for a pair, with sliders and side mounts. ****** excellent. Cannot be beaten for the money.

Can you still use your seatbelt with them? Providing you mount the buckle somewhere.

Mind linking where you can get everything for 300 pounds? I wonder what shipping to Australia will be like haha :p

yea you can still use a lap belt, Jardo has his like that currently in his mk2. feels OK.

Take a look on GSM seats

You can't get into the back at all. That options goes with bucket seats.

Stock S3 subframes will accept the seats with 4 holes drilled in each. No mk4 or TT subframes will be of any use to you at all though.

Other option is car specific seat frames from the likes of OMP.

Corbeau Clubsport.

you keep goin on about these

are they that good??

you keep goin on about these

are they that good??

For £300 a pair? yes.

Even given £500 to spend on a pair of seats, I don't think there's anything I'd pick over these. Certainly not including side mounts too.

Yarp.

1510560_1558411621040680_7583602934454448498_n.jpg

10636304_1558411694374006_169909506877979914_n.jpg

10734039_1550071635208012_8055267420910096906_n.jpg

So good that the first thing I did when I bought my Mk2 I bought another set.

11141128_1619759158239259_8797689635658402966_o.jpg

Reactions: scotty_24, superkarl and VAG-Slag
they look great!
what are they like for support?

Im desperate for a set of these but they are on back order :(

Anyone know an ETA of when they are next available? I got some Evo 9 recaros which are pretty nice but aren't fixed back. Not sure how I'm going to mount them yet.

Jardo. Looking at those pictures of your s3 has made me want to get some. I will be using the standard seatbelt though. Think I could mount the buckle to the side frame?

Or would you advise against having these buckets and using the oem seatbelt.

Also, even though you're drilling into the subframe I take it they still come on rails that will slide forward and backwards?

Thanks, and in regards to the seat belt?

Also, I can't get over how well they suit the car in this photo

10734039_1550071635208012_8055267420910096906_n.jpg

Jardo. Looking at those pictures of your s3 has made me want to get some. I will be using the standard seatbelt though. Think I could mount the buckle to the side frame?

Or would you advise against having these buckets and using the oem seatbelt.

Also, even though you're drilling into the subframe I take it they still come on rails that will slide forward and backwards?

Dude, I don't wish to be rude here, but you're repeating questions that you've already asked in this very thread, and I've already answered for you a few posts up.

Corbeau Clubsport.
yea you can still use a lap belt, Jardo has his like that currently in his mk2. feels OK.

Also, this isn't meant to be rude to Jardo, but you're best off asking me about the fitment of Jardo's S3 seats, seeing as it was me that installed them whilst he watched and took the pictures ;)

Reactions: s33nyboy12, VAG-Slag and scotty_24
Dude, I don't wish to be rude here, but you're repeating questions that you've already asked in this very thread, and I've already answered for you a few posts up.

Also, this isn't meant to be rude to Jardo, but you're best off asking me about the fitment of Jardo's S3 seats, seeing as it was me that installed them whilst he watched ;)

No offense taken. I made sure I read everything you said, I just wanted to clarify. You did say it came with sliders but then you need to drill holes in the original mounts. I wasn't sure if drilling the holes and bolting the subframe to the existing subframe meant you couldn't slide the seat. Just wanted to clarify.

Also, you said you can use the lap belt but I was wondering if you could mount the OEM buckle to the frame the seat comes on.

Also when you said "lap belt" I wasn't sure if you were talking about the OEM seatbelt, the term you used just threw me off a little as the seat belt also goes over your shoulder. I didn't know if you needed to buy another "lap belt".

I don't want to come across as stupid, rather careful. I don't want to spend a lot of money of something that isn't right for me / doesn't work how I want it to.

I really appreciate you and Jardo answering questions as is isn't a topic that has been covered as much as some other modifications, in particular on a S3.

Reactions: Prawn
How do you get round the airbag light for mot? Also what did you attach you harnesses to?

it's OK dude, I understand your caution. So many questions get repeated I forget which have been answered in full in which threads!

On the stock S3 setup, the inner buckle is part of the seat frame on the seat itself. When we did the seats, we drilled through a VERY solid part of the stock subframe to attach the eye bolt for the harness lap strap. You can do exactly this with the stock buckle, although it'll require cutting off the old seat and drilling the steel tab to mount it.

In an A3 or golf, the standard subframes slide within the runners in the shell. S3's are very different, and the subframes are in a fixed position in the shell, with a slider on the recaro seat itself. the buckets go in in exactly this way, with the double locking sliders on the base of the seat bolting to the subframe.

You get all the fore and aft adjustability of the stock seats, but no option to tilt the seat at all.

The angle is also fixed by the bolt position through the side mounts. This can be altered, but only by undoing 2 bolts and refitting in a new location, not on the move at all.

Air bag light will come on, and at this point your air bags will no longer be functional. this is a risk that only you can decide if you are willing to take.

I assume I need a friendly garage to look past the airbag light then? :(

it's OK dude, I understand your caution. So many questions get repeated I forget which have been answered in full in which threads!

On the stock S3 setup, the inner buckle is part of the seat frame on the seat itself. When we did the seats, we drilled through a VERY solid part of the stock subframe to attach the eye bolt for the harness lap strap. You can do exactly this with the stock buckle, although it'll require cutting off the old seat and drilling the steel tab to mount it.

In an A3 or golf, the standard subframes slide within the runners in the shell. S3's are very different, and the subframes are in a fixed position in the shell, with a slider on the recaro seat itself. the buckets go in in exactly this way, with the double locking sliders on the base of the seat bolting to the subframe.

You get all the fore and aft adjustability of the stock seats, but no option to tilt the seat at all.

The angle is also fixed by the bolt position through the side mounts. This can be altered, but only by undoing 2 bolts and refitting in a new location, not on the move at all.

Air bag light will come on, and at this point your air bags will no longer be functional. this is a risk that only you can decide if you are willing to take.

Thanks mate that was a great explanation! I will do some more research to see if there is anyway to trick the car that the airbags are still in the seat. Either by hardware or software. But as you explained how they work, the seats seem to be perfect for what I want!

if it's only the seats you're removing, you can use a resistor to fool the system into thinking they're still there, and the other will then remain active.

I havn't a clue what resistor you'd need, as I've removed my air bag system entirely.

Quick search and I found this:

"Airbag Resistor Guide for VW MKIV R32
Resistors needed to defeat Airbag Warning Light when removing airbags for motorsport.
Not recommended if you are going to use your car on the street at all.
Steering Wheel Airbag resistor is 2 ohm .5 watt
Seat Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Passenger Airbag resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Curtain Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Seat Belt Tensioner resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt
To defeat the airbag warning, use a 4.7 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for all airbags. Except the steering wheel where you use a 2 ohm . 5 watt.

This is from a PDF guide Ive had for a few years now. Worked everytime on my A3"

Reactions: JonBoi25 and scotty_24
Quick search and I found this:

"Airbag Resistor Guide for VW MKIV R32
Resistors needed to defeat Airbag Warning Light when removing airbags for motorsport.
Not recommended if you are going to use your car on the street at all.
Steering Wheel Airbag resistor is 2 ohm .5 watt
Seat Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Passenger Airbag resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Curtain Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Seat Belt Tensioner resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt
To defeat the airbag warning, use a 4.7 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for all airbags. Except the steering wheel where you use a 2 ohm . 5 watt.

This is from a PDF guide Ive had for a few years now. Worked everytime on my A3"

This is what I plan to follow, and ive heard you can also cose the individual seal airbags out using Vag com, so the dash and steering wheel air bags still work but it recognises it doesnt have seat air bags any more.

No idea how to do it, but a quick google search came up with a few guides to coding out airbags.

Im going to order these seats as well they look awesome and look comfy, and if they are reccomended by Nick and Jardo then they must be good!

Nick thanks for all the info on this thread, should make fitting these easy enough to do :)

Now just the long wait untill they come into stock

Having had a quick spin in Jardo's Golf at the weekend they are really nice seats but I was surprised by how narrow they are. I'm 5'9" and ~12.5 stone with a 32" waste and they were a little tight for me really, they'd be alright for purely motorsport use but in a road car I'd be wanting something a touch wider. It was only my hip-bones that they felt tight on though, so for me I'd be worried the XL ones would be a bit loose on the rest of me.

(For clarity's sake, his is a standard width seat, not an XL.)

XL seats are bang on really Robin. Standard seats are too narrow for anyone man sized, and I think a bad choice by Jardo personally :laugh:

The fact that the standard and XL don't quite match on the patches would really annoy the crap out of me too!

Jenno if you're in Australia (I think you are), you'll want to be careful as technically it's illegal to remove any airbags. Meaning your car would be unroadworthy and could cause insurance issues if you come to claim...

Lol, Jardo, that's my picture!

You can fit the seat with the standard belt. I wouldn't be 100% confident in it though, there would be quite a big gap between your lap and the belt because of the sides of the seat which form the "bucket".

When I first did the subframe (I was one of the first people to use these seats, recommended them to Jardo, then they really took off so it seems!), I mounted the standard seat belt clip/bracket from the standard seat. I then changed my mind and got harnesses.

I have pictures of the various steps I took to mount the rails/harnesses to the S3 subframes (including the picture Jardo pinched), if you want some more detail.

2014 05 24 141048

Reactions: scotty_24
Lol, Jardo, that's my picture!

You can fit the seat with the standard belt. I wouldn't be 100% confident in it though, there would be quite a big gap between your lap and the belt because of the sides of the seat which form the "bucket".

When I first did the subframe (I was one of the first people to use these seats, recommended them to Jardo, then they really took off so it seems!), I mounted the standard seat belt clip/bracket from the standard seat. I then changed my mind and got harnesses.

I have pictures of the various steps I took to mount the rails/harnesses to the S3 subframes (including the picture Jardo pinched), if you want some more detail.

View attachment 57774

Yes please :) ANy little helps

This is what I plan to follow, and ive heard you can also cose the individual seal airbags out using Vag com, so the dash and steering wheel air bags still work but it recognises it doesnt have seat air bags any more.

No idea how to do it, but a quick google search came up with a few guides to coding out airbags.

Im going to order these seats as well they look awesome and look comfy, and if they are reccomended by Nick and Jardo then they must be good!

Nick thanks for all the info on this thread, should make fitting these easy enough to do :)

Now just the long wait untill they come into stock

If you get the resistor you wont need to code it out on VCDS.

Jenno if you're in Australia (I think you are), you'll want to be careful as technically it's illegal to remove any airbags. Meaning your car would be unroadworthy and could cause insurance issues if you come to claim...

Yeah in WA mate. This is the next thing, for me to look into the legal side of things. I hope it wouldn't have an effect if I tried to make an insurance claim as not having airbags wouldn't cause a crash. However, I know insurance companies look for any excuse to get out of paying.

Are you sure that is the law Australia wide and includes side impact airbags? I'm looking into it now.

if it's only the seats you're removing, you can use a resistor to fool the system into thinking they're still there, and the other will then remain active.

I havn't a clue what resistor you'd need, as I've removed my air bag system entirely.

i prefer this method

if in doubt, rip it out

Just had a look and it seems that it can be done but you need it engineered. I might call a place that can engineer cars in Perth and see if they will pass it.

prawn if you had a slightly larger budget
say 400 each seat max
which would you choose?

im really liking the new sparco range but ive no idea on what makes each one differ to any other lol

Sparco Circuits are nice.

To be honest, I've not looked at mid range seats.

mine cost a fortune, and nobody else wants to spend that much. At the other end of the scale, the Clubsports are lovely.-

yeh im liking the circuits tbh

do the wrap around bits only add protection or do they add support as well.
sadly ive only sat in my own or yours and yours are far more suppirtive