1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken power steering pump???? VIDEO... help.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by JUS3IN, Nov 30, 2013.

1. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

[Nov 30, 2013]
    hey all, cars is making an awful intermittent noise... started of very occasionally now its bad and loud enough for me to not drive the car. sounds like a grinding noise then a clunk along with a slight aux belt squeel!? it seems to happen when coasting? i did notice on the way home the other day when it was its worst that if it was making the noise and i turned right fairly hard it would go away?

unfortunatly i cant get it to make the noise while parked so and on top of that its now in bits so no video of the actual noise.

i thought it was my alternator clutch, i checked it and it doesnt move either way when jammed! so i went to and bought one and took it along with my alternator to a garage to get them to swap the pullys only to realise it doesnt move because its a solid pully, lol but annoying....

now im getting worried its something more serious... leaves me with a car with no alternator fitted and greasy hands sitting here.. maybe ac pump or most likely power steering pump, although not a lot of up down or in out play on it it makes a noise when i rotate the pullly?

anyone ever heard of bad ps pumps having symptoms like this??

this is totally fooked right?
    also are all 1.8t pumps the same?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. eightfour7two

eightfour7two Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    I had this exact issue a few weeks ago. Grinding noise started one day and I figured it was the alternator as a spanner stethoscope seemed to imply. Booked it into the garage for a new alternator.

On the way to the garage there was a heavy clunk from the engine followed by a groaning when I turned the steering wheel...also a trail of power steering fluid. PS Pump had gone, but the alternator was fine
  4. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

[Nov 30, 2013]
    hopefully mate, ive had no leakage though?

just got back from the breakers and after removing 2 pumps and wrecking all my clothes ive brought one thats different but close enough to work i think... new ones off a 1999 a3 1.8t so im guessing its a 90bar instead of a 110 bar pump if it stops the noise i'll get a proper one after christmas...
  5. eightfour7two

eightfour7two Member

[Nov 30, 2013]
    I didn't have any leaks until the pump blew out, just the grinding/rubbing noise
  6. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

[Nov 30, 2013]
    all done, just done a 10 mile test drive and all seems good now... touch wood!-) on the bright side at least ive now done a ps fluid service!

cheers 8472.