Broken Pipe

d4mo

Reaction score
Whilst cleaning the car this weekend I have found something else which appears to be broken..when i say appears, i'm pretty sure it is broken as its a plastic pipe which has snapped at 2 seperate points.

There was only one break in the pipe originally but as i was trying to re-tape it back together (it was taped when i first saw it) I broke another part and have had to use tape to hold that part also.

The questions is.... what is this pipe for?

It runs from one side of the engine to the other, I'm assuming its an oil breather pipe but am not totally sure. It is made out of plastic and I was wondering if it could be replaced with the correct sized silicone tube or do i need to get and get riped off by a dealer to replace this with the proper pipe??

brokenpipe.jpg

And to add the troubles, when I moved the car earlier the missus spotted a 'rattly' sort of noise that appears to be coming from under the car near the rear of the engine. Gearbox or rearshaft problems?

Rattley noise might be the clutch/flywheel? Hard to diagnose without hearing it though.

Where does the pipe go from/to? It looks like it goes into the end of the rocker cover? If so it will most likely be an oil breather and probably runs back to the air intake?

Oil-safe silicone hose should be fine if thats the case.

aragorn, the pipe appears to come from the top of the left hand rocker cover (looking at the car from the front) and runs round and joins a T piece which is connected to the right hand rocker cover.

pipe2.jpg

With regards to the rattle, just been to the local Hi Q garage to get their opinion (and be able to get it up on the ramp to look underneath) and the very helpfull chap pointed out that it is my passenger Catalytic converter that has died ...... time to look into the de-cat options i think.