1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Part on Inlet manifold Not sure what it does ?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Dibbler, May 29, 2012.

1. Dibbler

Dibbler New Member

Hi all
    my 1.8 avant has been hesitating lately so changed air filter and plugs ,bit of an improvement swapped MAF and coil pack today ,
    better but still not quite right fine above 2000rpm revs ok but pulling away seems sluggish ,was looking around engine bay and on the inlet manifold is a black box opened the front flap and there is a rod and stepper motor ? the rod is broken what does it do ?
    checked at the breakers and found all the a4's and passats had the same issue .
    Not sure what the part is or how much it costs to replace ,any idea would be appreciated .
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

fancy posting a photo of the part?
  3. Dibbler

Dibbler New Member

Found this picture ,the lower arrow points to the broken part
    [​IMG]
  4. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

weres this located, i swear i have a boost leak and mines a bit slugish unless im at the correct revs, i know its turbo but feels massive lag for a little ko3
  5. Dibbler

Dibbler New Member

The black box just in front of the inlet manifold
    [​IMG]
  6. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

ah i might not have this then as mine 1.8t

what engine do you have, is there a part number on it? its got a vac source so its operated once you press the pedel as the vac would drop switching over what ever that is
  7. Dibbler

Dibbler New Member

Engine is 1.8 non turbo and can't find any part numbers ,was at the breakers today and all of passats and a4's that had the part were all broken so must be a common failure ,can't think of any way to repair it either the round end where it connects to the spindle is snapped :(
  8. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

9. Dibbler

Dibbler New Member

Yep thats just about all I have found out as well can't find a part number or replacement price no real idea what it does ?
    something to smooth low rev's ,was surprised just how many I found already broken
  10. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

its a audis take on a varible length runner system,

i see along the way around £187 or another price was £216 go ask audi, get a part number then you can do some searching,

when you get chance get a picture of your one, and ill see if you can do any thing with it, looking at it the vac pushed the shaft in or out, so you could try to fab something. like a tube to fit over the plastic arm, and then flatten the other end and drill the flattened pipe to the size of the shaft. then drill the shaft its self twice then use a r clip (like what model cars use to hold the shell on, slide on the bar and you want the drilled holes in the shaft to make the clips sit real tight both sides

ill draw some thing up tomorrow, or if you dont quite get me ill do something now quickly on paint, be crude but your get the idea.