1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Ignition Barrel

bora11 Oct 27, 2013

1. bora11

bora11 New Member

Hi my ignition barrel housing has broken when I removed the Ignition switch a small blade of metal came out as well. I was just wondering if I just have to change the housing which the switch and barrel sits in as the switch and barrel look fine. Also I presume you have to drill or cut the two bolts of which hold the housing onto the steering column ? Any help much appreciated as the car is in bits at the mo :-( oh its a 1998 s3 )

2. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Ive never replaced one but I could get a new one to fit your key for approx 80.00+ pnp.
    You may be able to get a local locksmith to rebuild yours for you, doubt it would be that cheap though. Where abouts are you?

3. bora11

bora11 New Member

Thanks I have another barrel and switch it was just the metal parts inside the housing that has all broken. I am going to have to try and get another housing and try and remove this one from the steering column . Just not sure about the two studs holding it on ,I think they have to be drilled out.