Broken coilovers, H&R pic's please :)

Olly P

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi
Reaction score
So, my tale of woe begins when I bought a set of FK coilovers from DPM. I've had them on the car for around 5 months and all 4 dampers are knocking badly. The garage that fitted them (APS) have had a look and confirmed that all 4 are defective.

To save fitting and refitting shocks, I've bought a set of 45mm H&R lowering springs and a second hand set of standard shocks to fit. I can then send back the faulty FK shocks for a refund.

So my question, does any one have any pic's of the 45mm H&R's on their car, i'm trying to work out if i'll need some B5 perch plates to ensure its lowered evenly.

Any way, here's a pic of my car with the faulty FK's fitted!

I have 2wd so 35mm H&Rs and they are very close to level but not quite, sometimes its looks like it is and other times not. I did fit perches too but removed them after a week as it was a tad too low at front for me, scraped speed humps etc. I think the car as a whole looked better without the perches with regards to levelness but sometimes if you looked at the arch to tyre gap the front was is ever so slightly more. With the perches the car it obviously lowered the tyre gap on the front but I didn't like overall look as the car looked too low at the front compared to the rear.

Probably all pointless info for you tho as not sure if the 45mm springs will sit the same as the 35's.

Forgot to mention too, Since I've fitted spacers on the front it's helped deceive the eye of it being more level, bringing the tyre closer to the arch horizontally can trick the eye.

Thanks for the reply ajax1976, exactly what I wanted to find out :icon_thumright:

I've got spacers fitted so hopefully it will look ok. Thats the reason why I went for coilovers originally, I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height so it was how I wanted and level.

Any pics?

Don't really have pictures of direct comparison, changed wheels, tyres etc but these might give you an idea.

This is with the just the springs;

Don't have any proper pics with the perches fitted, only this one.

Back to just the springs, normal B7 perches and spaced wheels. Only change I've done since this picture is change the front tyres to a 235 to match the rears which has made it look and drive far better, really happy with it now.

Alan

Reactions: Olly P
Looks spot on, thanks for the pics and your help.

... nice car by the way!

Last edited: