Broke my new head unit.

Geoffads

Reaction score
Absolutely gutted! I purchased the unit linked at the bottom, initially I was really impressed with the speed of delivery and when I opened the box it had all the connectors needed for the install including a reversing camera. Whoop!!

I got it all hooked up and it powered straight on. GREAT!! or so I thought..... It was a really tight fit and didn't want to slide into place, it was about 2/3 of the way in and didn't want to go any further, so I went to take it out in case a cable was halting progress. Nope, didn't want to budge. No movement either way. Then bam the face snapped off at one end. Pushing from behind and lots of wiggling the front I managed to get it out, but in the process the strain on the two remaining screws holding the face on broke too leaving the face hanging by the cable tape. Which then broke too.

I've emailed the seller but don't hold out much hope. It clearly isn't a very good fit even though it's specific to the A3.
Live and learn, but cheap buy twice.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271668778939&globalID=EBAY-GB

Smeds get on to eBay straight away don't waste your time with the seller they will give you the run around so you go past the 30 day refund period tell ebay the problems but don't say you installed the unit say you got a professional installer or very experienced installer like me lol to mount the unit a lot of sellers hide behind this and claim it was poor workmanship by the purchaser who did not have the necessary experience to install the unit

Be careful what you type in any response to ebay and remember you paid via paypal which is linked to your bank account visa card or credit card you are protected by the card issuing company and by the sale of goods act

hope this helps

Reactions: Geoffads
Just say it was broken when it arrived.

Reactions: Geoffads
Can't do that, before I actually broke it I had been emailing for help getting it to power up as I forgot to plug the canbus box in. I've been bodging it all together and I think I'm going to be able to get it sorted. I ripped the ribbon cable so they're sending me another.
They've been really helpful and it was my fault it broke. There a slight design issue but the guides in the dash are also a bit worn so it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

hope the ribbon cable is easy to fix or you have to be good with a soldering lol

Yeah the ribbon just slides in and out, it had a rip in it but everything still worked ok. It only stopped working when the pins on it broke after it had been in and out a few times whilst getting everything fitted. Hopefully when it arrives I'll plug it in and never need to take it out again.