Brittany

Reaction score
I have driven to Le Touquet a couple of times, but next month for the first time we are on our way to Brittany, south of Quimper. We are taking the Eurotunnel there and back, stopping near Caen both times so that the boys can stretch their legs.

I am looking for some museums/exibitions on route to take the boys for a little bit of a WW1/WW2 history lesson, but can't seem to work out which are the best places. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also if anyone knows of good places to visit in Brittany, it would be very much appreciated :icon_thumright:

Hey Crazy,

I like people with the balls for road-trips, we do them all the time and they're great fun - especially through Germany on autobahns lol. I love Brittany but my memories are childhood. However, Mont-St-Michael is a lovely place to wander around - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...tany Mont St Michel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl.

WW1/2? I've had to jog my memory via goole but hey:

Musee National De La Marine - remember that as a kid, cool, and just looked at the photos from my old albums. And there's a WW2 vehicle museum in Breton St. Marcel but my photos only say that, "Breton St Marcel". Shame you're not in Normandy going to the La Memorial de Caen. Amzing place, spooky too as even the birds don't sing!!!

Have you got the Le Shuttle back before? I ALWAYS get Le Shuttle out, ferry back. Why? Cause' it's easy to meet your slot going as we know our roads, but I'm often late coming back. The ferry just chucks you on the next boat without charge - even though the call centre says they'll charge, but the reality at the port is "whatever, next one". Whereas I've been charged quite significantly when late for Le Shuttle. Yes, I know, "don't be late" is the answer but hey ... **** happens ... especially when there's roadworks on the R0 in Belgium! Anyway lol.

Have fun and don't forget your headlamp converters

If I was you I would take a few days in the area as there is lots to see.
If you are going to Caen there is the Merville Battery just north west of there, or if you head from Caen towards Ooesterham you can pick up Pegasus bridge which has a really good museum. If you go a little further to the west onto Arromanche you can view the Tapestry for the ancient history or the D Day museum for the WW2 stuff and the beach is littered with remanants of the Mulberry harbour.
And from Arromanche slightly to the west is Omaha Beach.

Taken from the hill above Omaha beach towards arromanche, you can see whats left of the Mulberry harbour. From this point it gives you an idea of what happened on D Day. The sea is nearly low tide, the soldiers were dropped off further out and had to get to the bottom of this cliff for shelter from the German guns.
NormandyMods0025.jpg

Wreckage
NormandyMods0024.jpg

Pegasus bridge cafe
NormandyMods0019.jpg

The bridge itself
NormandyMods0018.jpg

Longue battery
NormandyMods0014.jpg

Last edited:
Have you got the Le Shuttle back before? I ALWAYS get Le Shuttle out, ferry back. Why?

Always the train for me...I had a pretty bad experience on the ferry when I was younger, so prefer to opt out. I am sure it was nothing to the hardcore ferry users!:puke2:
Have fun and don't forget your headlamp converters

Luckily the car has Xenons with the option to convert to continental driving on the MMI system:icon_thumright:

If I was you I would take a few days in the area as there is lots to see.
If you are going to Caen there is the Merville Battery just north west of there, or if you head from Caen towards Ooesterham you can pick up Pegasus bridge which has a really good museum. If you go a little further to the west onto Arromanche you can view the Tapestry for the ancient history or the D Day museum for the WW2 stuff and the beach is littered with remanants of the Mulberry harbour.

We are spending the night near Caen so will stick these locations in the satnav and see how we get on. Cheers