Brembo's are fitted - Big Brakes Rock!

Ade_D

Reaction score
Website
www.pixworld.co.uk
Well, they're on and boy what a difference. I'm still bedding them in but even the slightest touch makes the S3 do handstands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If anyone out there was thinking of going the Brembo route than i recommend it 100%.

Apologies for the quality of the pics but i took them in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Brembos1.jpg

Brembos2.jpg

Brembos3.jpg

Ade

No offence Ade, but they look a bit small behind those wheels, but agree with you on the improved response on the brakes after fitting. Hers a pic of mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1525resizebrembo.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting Dave, you have the Brembo logo in Black, but mine and Ade's are in white, I'm pretty sure we have the same brake setup aswell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's the Brembo GT kit as you have, but mine has a faster, heat dissipating Brembo logo in Black for added performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, of course, how did I not know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, they're on and boy what a difference. I'm still bedding them in but even the slightest touch makes the S3 do handstands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully that's because the front brakes are that good and not because your brake bias is now stuffed.

Has anyone found that they had issues with brake bias after fitting bigger callipers on the front and leaving the back alone?

Cheers, Edward.

Eddy, the brake bias does move forward with the Brembo kit and others.

Look at the stopping distances for a Leon Cupra and a Cupra R (with Brembos) the stopping distance increases (and I'm sure not all of this is due to weight)

On a recent track day myself and Mark ran our S3s, Marks was more tailhappy underbraking on an off camber corner than my S3 suggesting bias had moved forwards.

I think you gain feel, reliability and fade resistance, but at the expense of slightly increased cold stop distances...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Posers - they are all shiney and bling.

Witness the effects of Scotland, Winter, Salt and being ragged about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P1010059.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting Dave, you have the Brembo logo in Black, but mine and Ade's are in white, I'm pretty sure we have the same brake setup aswell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheels off, roughly mask off the contact areas and spray the rest with high temp black paint - much nicer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Any overspray will be taken care off by the pads 1st time you use them ..

Adam

I'm not complaining about the worn look, in fact I prefer it.

I had considered a flat silver paint for the disc hub, but then it would not make the brakes work any better and be rather too bling for me.

They'll need to be replaced soon anyway if I do many more trackdays...

[ QUOTE ]
Nice 1 ade, looks really kool!!

Do they fit behind 17" RSTT alloys too?

How much for brakes and fitting? also is it just front brakes that are normally done or all rounders?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most big brake kits simply specify 17" rims as a minimum as far as I recall.

Most people only worry about the fronts, as this is where most of your braking is done, but the rears do look tiny compared to the standard fronts, so imagine how they'd look with swollen fronts!

[ QUOTE ]

On a recent track day myself and Mark ran our S3s, Marks was more tailhappy underbraking on an off camber corner than my S3 suggesting bias had moved forwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, wasn't that yours was more tail happy? Certainly felt that way from the passenger seat!

[ QUOTE ]
How much does the brake feel improve?

Main reason I want some!

[/ QUOTE ]

It removes the sponginess of the brake pedal, where nothing happend for the first inch of pressing. The Brembo's feels much more sharper and direct, giving you a bit more confidence when hitting them late.

@ richA3turbo (Jedi master) i've tried to PM you with regard to this kit but your box is full, im do you supply this kit and could you PM a price if you do. Also is it a difficult job? I could do it physically but i read somewhere there is a vagcom sequence for bleeding etc and know you too had problems. My brakes have felt poor since xmas and need them sorting.

Ade_D that does look very nice. You should have got bigger disc brakes thought!

Is there any performance gained, e.g. braking etc?

Thanks all, I'm well pleased with them, as they're getting bedded in they're getting even better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ade_D that does look very nice. You should have got bigger disc brakes thought!

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the Brembo big brakes. The only ones that i know of that are noticably larger are the Sportec ones and they're £1800+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The reason they don't look big in the pics is probably due to the wheels being 19". On 17" wheels they would certaintly fill any gaps in the wheels!.

Ade

[ QUOTE ]
You should have got bigger disc brakes thought!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call the Brembo GT kit as a big brake conversion, the standard disks are 312mm IIRC, and the Brembo items are 323mm so a little increase, but not drastic. They certainly improved braking over the standard brakes, and offer better fade resistance after heavy use. Now this is what I call a big brake conversion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

1525Porschebrakes-med.jpg

Are you supposed to take the back plate thing off behind the discs when youve fitted brembo or is it ok to leave them on.Just wondering just cant see them in any of the pics mine are still on had to push them back a bit for clearance.

Thats a picture of the 993t front brake conversion ,i have this kit,but i have to remind you that the discs are only 322mm but you have to remember that it's not only the size of disc but design of the caliper and pad area cm2 per caliper and resistence to fade.

Here are my Brembo's behind the standard 17" Avus wheel:

brembo.jpg

Are those discs fitted the right way round grant? i always thought they ran handed the opposite to which yours are fitted, so the slots have run with the inside edge meeting the caliper first?

[ QUOTE ]
What dosks are you running there Grant?

[/ QUOTE ]
Brembos... slotted disks rather than drilled.

[ QUOTE ]
Are those discs fitted the right way round grant? i always thought they ran handed the opposite to which yours are fitted, so the slots have run with the inside edge meeting the caliper first?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... dunno! There were fitted at Star Performance... I presume they are right... they do work!

There are correctly fitted... here is a pic of another car with slotted disks:

discs.jpg

I just didnt know which way round they were meant to go. I thought they would fit the same way round as cross-drilled ones etc but it may not make any difference!

You were making me "nervus" for a minute! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Yours are the opposite way round though gammba - right? Im soo confused!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yours are the opposite way round though gammba - right? Im soo confused!

[/ QUOTE ]

So are the brakes on the grey/blue car

[/ QUOTE ]

The mans got a point...

Grant, you sure they are right?

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea... they were fitted at Star... I just assumed they were right!

To be honest, i doubt it makes any difference at all.. The slots have nothing to do with airflow or cooling, they just let the gas escape...

Rich

I just phoned Jim to make sure and he said it doesn't matter which way they are fitted.

Grant I have just spoken to Brembo your discs are fitted correctly, they perfer the grooves not to cut into the pads same as Tarox.
Jim.

[ QUOTE ]
Grant I have just spoken to Brembo your discs are fitted correctly, they perfer the grooves not to cut into the pads same as Tarox.
Jim.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks "dpt"... that's reassuring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jim.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks "dpt"... that's reassuring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But yours do cut into the pads, grant! Your are "cutting into" instead of "running with"

Where is Ess_three when we need him? I m sure it doesnt matter too much TBH!

You can run them either way. One is aggressive on the pads but provides the ultimate stopping, the other is for longevity.

My stoptechs were the same as Grants (as per their instructions)

Just noticed...

nervus
addict

Reged: 06/04/2004

I'm feeling left out with all these pictures of our wheels.Here's one of mine.Porsche front brake kit 993tt in stealthy black.Running a 10mm spacer but i'm not sure if i really need it as there seems to be loads of space onthe standard avus's.Yes my car is dirty,it gets used!!!
brakes1.jpg