1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Break Disk confusion!!!!

Nitro Mar 12, 2010

1. Nitro

Nitro Member

My new ds2500 pads arrived today so I took the wheel off to have a quick look at the caliper, then noticed the **** will spin on the hub. there is no locater screw in it. No matter how I turned the disk so that the holes line up with the five holes on the hub (went round about five times checking) there is no place for the locater screw! Is this normal? The disks are genuine Audi & have the badge on them. Why have a hole for a locater screw if you don't fit one?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

locator screw has probably been snapped off

3. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

My discs don't have a locater screw... PITA to get the discs lined up but it is possible!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

btw it helps if you lower the car to take some weight off the wheel, else you're constantly fighting with gravity!

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Mine have no locator screws either.

6. Nitro

Nitro Member

Matt I looked for that when I turned the disk it has no locater screw hole. My car is a year 2000 with 107 000 miles with full Audi service history so I hope Audi dealers would have spotted both sides of the front haveing, Snaped locater screws! We will see this weekend when I take the calipers and disks off the hub and have a propped look. I am not really fussed as all the locater screw does is hold the disk in the correct place for ease, it's the wheel bolts that provide the clamping force to hold the wheels onto the disk onto the hub. I just find it strange Audi stopped useing them

7. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

I think they stopped using them because they're stupid - they just rust and get stuck. Drilling them out isn't fun, I bet. I have a black plastic peg in the bag in my boot with the wheel jack. I think it's to help in these situations. Check you have one too. :)

8. hardhitter

hardhitter Member

They either stopped using the countersunk locator screw as a cost excercise or they forgot, lol. They are easy to to get out with an impact screwdriver.

9. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi A6

As above get one of the plastic pegs, which Audi call a tommy bar. The part number is 893 012 223 and the cost is about £2.

10. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

ye the plastic thing is supposed to be used to easily remove and refit the rim.