Branch Manifold on an S

ZAS

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently spotted a crack in my exhaust manifold and have started looking around for a new one. I've spotted some good stuff online but, due to prohibitive shipping costs, I don't think I'll be heading down that route so I'll need to find something locally that will do the trick.

Anyway, there's a crowd here that do very good branch manifolds, so I phoned their local rep up (the head office is located in another city, the guys by me just build according to the spec given to them by the main honchos) and he has said he would recommend using a cast/OE branch because the branch manifolds tend to work loose over time.

Any thoughts on this? I've tried to do a forum search but couldn't really spot a thread that has a definite answer regarding whether or not it's a good idea. I don't have a big turbo build or anything, I just need a decent manifold that will preferably offer better flow than the standard one.

JB

By branch I assume you mean tubular?

Only K04 contenders in the UK at least are JBS cast mani (currently needs modding to work properly) or the relentless tubular mani (loads of threads on this...)... TSR do one but its loadsa money, Bill made one as a test but is prohibitively expensive to make without more kit, ad there are a couple in europe (spider?)...

Frankenturbo (US) also do one and s3Dave has one of these IIRC...

Personally, the Relentless represents the better combo of power/price here... if you plan to go BT though I would be tempted to source an OEM one for now or tbh not worry about it unless the crack is visible on the outside and is blowing as they all have cracks but tend not to present a problem unless real bad...

I am sure you can get relentless/XS Power stuff in aus?

<tuffty/>

Yup, branch = tubular.

Crack is visible on the outside, but haven't had a chance to check how badly, if at all, it's blowing, will be able to fire her up once I get my Badger5 goodies soon.

Integrated Engineering and 034 Motorsport have some really nice cast ones, but again, it's just the shipping that's a PITA. I'll have a look for the Relentless jobbies.

The 034 cast K04 mani is rubbish mate... Welly had one and it lasted 2 weeks... IE only list the JBS one for the K04... (read this... VWVortex.com - The JBS K04 manifold, reworked)

As said, the relentless (now on V3) seems to be the one to go for... check Westy's build thread as he is using one of these as is Prawn on his track car (and loads of others now but can't remember them all lol)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
The 034 cast K04 mani is rubbish mate... Welly had one and it lasted 2 weeks... IE only list the JBS one for the K04... (read this... forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5675749-The-JBS-K04-manifold-reworked/)

As said, the relentless (now on V3) seems to be the one to go for... check Westy's build thread as he is using one of these as is Prawn on his track car (and loads of others now but can't remember them all lol)

<tuffty/>

****** hell, I think before I buy any parts from now on I'll start a thread asking for advice, there's so much crap floating around out there, a la that crank pulley thread...

I would love to have the skills to be able to cast all this **** myself, I couldn't think of anything more satisfying (albeit time consuming.)

****** hell, I think before I buy any parts from now on I'll start a thread asking for advice, there's so much crap floating around out there, a la that crank pulley thread...

I would love to have the skills to be able to cast all this **** myself, I couldn't think of anything more satisfying (albeit time consuming.)

Mate... its 'all' been done on here :)

<tuffty/>

If the crack isnt bad, then just let some (pro) guy to weld it. Cast steel is not the easiest material to weld but it can be done.

Yarp... Bill has done a few of these before... uses a special filler rod but can't remember what it is off hand...

<tuffty/>