1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes???

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by toaophil, Aug 27, 2014.

1. toaophil

toaophil Audi!

[Aug 27, 2014]
    Hi all,

I have a noise ..... and its gradually becoming louder.

You can mainly hear it with windows down, especially when driving alongside a wall/hedge

Sounds like mainly the front - I think. Possibly both sides.

The best way to describe the sound is, its like the brakes are slightly on, and the discs are buckled, causing a metal on metal rubbing sound that 'wurrs'

Brakes and discs appear visually ok.

And - when I brake - It doesnt get louder, nor can I feel anything odd.

Baffled!

Any help appreciated.

Phil
    A4 Avant 1.8T
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Aug 28, 2014]
    May have a stone between disc and pad. Take the pads off.......clean and re grease before putting back together. This will also give you a chance to check the inside pad in case you have sticking caliper that has worn the pad out meaning there is metal on metal that can also give a grinding effect
  4. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Aug 28, 2014]
    as above

first thing is to strip down check alls ok and no grit stones trapped.
  5. SuperV8

SuperV8 Member

[Aug 29, 2014]
    Would you say its more of a squeal? or a graunch? High speed? or low speed?
    Is it constant when braking or does it sound like it could come and go each wheel revolution?
    Do you also get and judder when braking or is it just the noise?
    You really need to take the calliper off and have a look, check nothing is sticking/seized.
    Pads should be free to move in the caliper carrier, carrier sliders should be free and slide smoothly, and pistons should be free and push back into the caliper easily with the piston wind back tool. If one pad is thinner than the other it's a sign something isn't sliding properly.
    This needs to be checked for each suspect corner.
    If some part of the brake system is sticking/seized it will mean the pads can't release properly and can overheat/glaze which can cause noise.
    What pads are they? Should have an anti-noise shim on the back.

Also if the discs are mounted on a hub that isn't perfectly clean they will 'run-out' so with every wheel revolution the pads will wear one spot on the disc. This part of the disc will wear thin and cause judder possibly noise.

Were the pads properly bedded in? avoiding heavy/high speed braking in the first few hundred miles? If not this can also cause the pads to be noisy.

Tom.
  6. toaophil

toaophil Audi!

[Aug 29, 2014]
    like a smooth grind sound with the turn of the wheels. Has a louder point on each revolution. Mainly noticeable at low speeds. No louder when braking. Brakes work well. No judder.

hoping it wont be linked to a driveshaft/hub/bearing problem!
  7. Mike_B

Mike_B Member

[Aug 29, 2014]
    As above - if it's still present while braking though, I'd be inclined to suspect a bearing.