1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes to put you through the windscreen, overkill oh yes!!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Andy.B, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Andy.B

Andy.B Member

Ohhh yeh just got in and i have finally finished after a few days spent on the old A4 i now have done every single arm on the front suspension and fitted my MovIt Calipers and RS4 discs (Chears Mark):icon_thumright: to my T-sport also had the car tracked today and sorted out the brakes being blead to Dot 5.1 fluid throughout. I have only driven it 30 miles home but OMG it feels like a new car and the brakes are out of this world and the pads havent even bedded in to the new discs yet!!! Was a bitch of a job to do myself but its well worth it.

Pics will follow tomorrow afternoon, but i have got to go to work now no rest for the wicked. LOL
  2. Adam-D

Adam-D Member

what arms did you use?
  3. Fraser

Fraser Member

sounds exciting stuff
  4. jcb

jcb Active Member

Which caliper adapters and movits did you use?
    I am about to fit 365's and 8 pot brembos so would be very interested to see what your pedal sponginess is like.
    progressive? how far does you pedal travel before you get decent bite?

standard rears or S4/rs4?

my brakes are pants right now, looking forward to getting my hoses so I can fit them!
  5. Siena

Siena Active Member

Jcb, this may sound a daft question, forgive me if it sounds patronizing -

What power are you running, what does your car weigh?

Why 8 piston Brembos?? Your master cylinder's going to have a hell of a job displacing enough fluid to fill 18 pistons - that's counting the rear singles.
  6. jcb

jcb Active Member

Ha, no problem. I know what you are thinking, its not just the bling factor..

I am almost done building a fully forged 2.0l stroker bottom end, large port head with Supertech Ti valvetrain, running a GT2871 on external wastegate/custom exhaust mani, estimating around the 400bhp mark at 15-18psi on Tapp 630 software.

It's an 1.8t Avant. C1650kg running KW v3 coilovers.

Front brakes are B7 RS4 8 pots, either OEM or EBC yellow pads (depending on how they feel, change of pads helped some guys get rid of spongy feel) and B5 RS4 rears, Goodridge braided motorsport hoses all round.
    I had some 2 pot B5 RS4 front's but these came up at such a price I couldn't help myself. I have paid less that £800 for all the calipers (two front have less than 1000 miles on them) and pretty much four brand new discs.

I know that it is probably asking a bit of the M/C but there doesn't appear to be much difference between the A4/S4/RS4 M/C, and those that are running 8pot's or Porsche GT3 6 pots already have reported such vast differences in spongy pedal, non spongy pedal, I am going to see how they run before I start swapping M/C's.

brakes are going on before the engine obviously.....

how's that V8 coming along
  7. dappadan786

dappadan786 Member

WOW! :anbet:
  8. Siena

Siena Active Member

Cool, Jcb. Are you fitting any form of TCS or LSD? Will be pretty fierce with 400PS going through the front wheels!

S8 motor and 6 speed box won't be going in till march, when it begins to get warmer. The cold months are my busiest periods, in terms of clients.
  9. jcb

jcb Active Member

its a quattro. and I have a Quaife LSD for the rear
    should be fairly solid.
    my biggest issue now is drive train bushes/mounts. need to save some $ before I fit the ones I want.
  10. Markey

Markey Active Member

They were Movit 4 pots (Porsche 996) and the adaptors were made by quattronics. This was the kit i was going to use but sold it to get a powerfc for the Silvia :)
  11. jcb

jcb Active Member

cool, I had some Porsche 4 pot monoblocs from a cayenne but the adapters where a ballache to match up and I just didn't fancy risking them. sold them as well
  12. Andy.B

Andy.B Member

The pedal feel and bite is much much more progressive than the old standard setup. In actual fact i dont know if its me but the pedal actually feels higher than the standard stuff, doubt that could be true but it feels it. The pads in the brembos are ferrodo racing, tey are so grippy from cold i cant really fault the with the RS4 discs.

Seeing as i have 4 pots now the Rs4 8pots shouldnt prove a problem for the master cylinder.

Shame my rear discs lok so **** now, think ill have to find a bolt on conversion for my car now lol

Ill put the pics up in the moring when i get in from work. (Yes Again! lol)
  13. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was just about to post you know the score, PICS !!!!

Off topic, how do you find the clutch for everyday driving??
  14. jcb

jcb Active Member

good to know.
    you can bolt on RS4 B5 discs and calipers, look good too
    they usually go prtty cheap on RS246 when the B5 guys go B7
  15. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

you can do some maths to calculate the piston surface area difference between the two calipers and that should tell you how closly matched the master cylinder is.

If you can tell me the size of the pistons on the OE calipers and the brembos i'll run the numbers for you.
  16. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

i have seen andys breaks today and i must say they look the nuts!

nicley done my son!!
  17. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

G why didnt you get pics?? You miss all the good stuff,lol
  18. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

lol i know i not very "i must take a pic" orientated!! lol

ill let andy show off his new toys, as i will be this week i would think! lol cant wait to get my engine in now. was a f*ckin mish gettin it out of van into my back garden! cheers for the hoist andy!! :)
  19. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

lol had similar fun moving my ABZ V8 to my brothers place last weekend.

Ended up using some pywood and some 2x2's to create a ramp at the back of the van, and dragged it up the ramp still attached to its shipping pallet. Similar story getting it back down, there was 3 of us and no way were we lifting it!

Slid it down the ramp and dragged it inot the corner of his garden!
  20. Andy.B

Andy.B Member

Pics as promiced, sorry they took so long had to get them off my iphone..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes i know the disc looks GAY but the effect now the paint has set loks like the bell is annodised blue :)
  21. fatal8446

fatal8446 Member

thought id be the first to say:faint:
  22. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looks like the rims just cleared them, nice.
  23. dappadan786

dappadan786 Member

Perfect fit mate! they look the dogs! well done wish id gone for the larger 996 calipers now too lol ;)
  24. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Damn those are some big stoppers!
  25. Markey

Markey Active Member

They are awesome and very light for what they are the disk are just massive :)
  26. Corey

Corey Seeing the world differently.

Not one to comment on forums much I must point out a glaring error here guys (and I hope I am mistaken).
    Your calipers are mounted incorrectly. The bleed nipples need to point up so as to my knowledge gravity makes air rise in a fluid, so bleeding the brakes will be very difficult for you.
    The beauty of the Porsche calipers you have fitted are that it is easy to rectify your fault.
    The parts numbers of the calipers show that the off number will be on the left hand side and the even number will be on the right hand side (996.351.429 and 996.351.430 for the calipers you have).
    The calipers are assymetrical so they can be orientated to be correct for your needs. You need to swap the cross over tubes over to ensure the calipers are correct. If you do not know how to do this then proceed as follows.
    Lay the calipers in front of you with the nipples pointing away, with 429 on the left and 430 on the right, remove all 4 nipples and put them to one side.
    Remove the cross over tube from 429 and put it into the holes where the nipples where on 430, now remove the other cross over tube from 430 and put it where the nipples where on 429, put the nipples back into the holes where both cross over tubes once where and job done.

An easy way to check that the orientation of your calipers is correct is rotate the disc in the direction of travel and the first piston on the caliper to see the disc should be the small piston.

Obviously if the lead piston is the small piston and the nipples are pointing up and the calipers are on the correct side then you don't need to do anything but if any of these aspects are not then you need to change them, remember if your brakes fail it may not just be you you kill.

HTH's
  27. jcb

jcb Active Member

well spotted.
    this has been described before, not sure if it was here or RS246.
    apart from the inability to bleed prperly it can sometimes lead to very uneven pad wear as the big piston at the leading edge destroys the front (the side that faces into the rotation) of the pad