1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes issue

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by scottshere, Feb 23, 2013.

1. scottshere

scottshere Member

Had a clunking sounds for a while now when i brake most of the time. Sounded like top arm or something similar
    Replaced all of the 8 front arms, drop links, tie rod ends. Just replaced the CV joints today also.
    Still got the click/clunk when i brake. Would say its when i am almost stopped and it seems if i put my foot one the brake and hold it there it sinks slowly to the bottom.
    Caliper issue or Servo?
    Cant see any leakage and not using fluid
    Are the bake pads the wrong ones?

I have had issues with wrong parts. The CV joints for example were wrong from Europarts and they say its an oddball due to its year
    53 plate

Going for 4 wheel tracking next week as i have some holidays to take, not sure this will fix anything though

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Alan H

Alan H Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

A sinking pedal would lead me to master or slave cylinder issue.

4. scottshere

scottshere Member

Would you think this would also make the calipers stick maybe? Hence the clunk

5. Alan H

Alan H Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

I'm really not sure. Seized calipers are just that, not usually related to a master/ slave issue. But with cars you never really know.

sorry I can't be more help on this.

6. scottshere

scottshere Member

Cheers...

I'm now guessing it might be the master cylinder and the clunk i can hear is that. I have read somewhere on here that they tend to rust when water gets trapped and maybe its this i can hear or worn rubbers making the cylinder clunk

7. scottshere

scottshere Member

8. scottshere

scottshere Member

Well just found that i have a leak somewhere... My red brake light just flashed on screen for a brief moment. Checked the fluid level and its down to minimum. Maybe a caliper with a leak