Brakes have gone!!

troopa

Reaction score
Was on the way home and my brake warning light came on... Pressed he pedal (on the motorway!) all seemed fine.
Then on the off ramp going down hill, i braked and my pedal was soooo soft, didnt really slow me down so i pumped it and it had a greater effect.
So i cruised home and all is safe.
Any ideas what this could be guys? Ive done a little searching on google and it seems to throw up a brake leak... As i say my brake warning light is constantly on now when i turn the key.

my thinking is a leak, low fluid and now air in the system, or the master cylinder has gone bad, which light is on and what colour is it?

Its amber flashing on the screen. Circle with brackets either side is the best way I can describe it. My fluid isnt low but I did top it up about a month ago and it's dropped. Im thinking leak.

That symbol can also be low brake pads so I would also check your pads.

My pads are fine. Loads of life. Would word or defect pads give the soft spongey feel?

Are the brakes ok now? If yes I would suspect you haven't got a leek.

There are two types of brake fade;
when your brake fluid over heats it will effectively boil meaning your peddle would go to the floor, you can pump the pedal and regain some breaking as you are compressing the bubbles in the fluid.
The other type is pad fade when the brake pad overheats, you would still have a hard pedal but very little friction from the brake pad.
If one of your calipers are binding it would get hot and could cause either cases above. Also if your brake fluid is old it will boil easier. Your brake fluid absorbs water over time so if old it will have more water in it and will boil easily.

Tom.

I got hone yesterday (when it happened) at 6.00pm and at 10.00pm I went back out and it was still the same so im ruling out boiled fluid or fade as I tested it sat on the drive. I'll be looking for a leak but wont have time till friday.. grrrrr

Where would people suggest to look for a leak. I mean is there any known places?

check the calipers to see if you have popped a seal also check hoses and all connections

if you got a brake warning it could just be low fluid and it would have needed a top up but it sounds like it got too low and air has got in the system

I would bleed the full system and see how it is after that

that light you got is low pads and only low pads
post a pic to be sure tho

if you do have a leak it will be very easy to spot

This is not my pic but its the same sign. Hope the link works.
Im at work so cant take a pic.
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/brakesensor5.JPG

My pads are fine loads of meat left on them. So maybe a faulty sensor. But still doesnt explain no brakes.
If it is a leak in the system and I bleed it, would it still have no brakes or would the excess fluid ive put in hide it for a while?
I know yhe answer to this question im just covering all angles haha.

prob a sensor fault unplug clean and try it
if that dont work cut the plug off (pad) side and wire togeather

no brakes i wouldnt risk haveing a leak and refilling and bleading id get it looked at and fixed it could be leathal not doing so
just think if you have a leak and like you say hide it what when your doin 30mph someone walks infromt of you and you kill them ?

If you had a leak you would notice it even after bleeding

seems a bit odd just to lose all brakes though

it can really be only 1 of 2 things leak or air in the system

the only way you will get air in the system is if the fluid drops too low in the master cylinder reservoir have you checked this? or by a leak

that is a pad warning as Bez said above so possibly not low fluid

does the pedal go to the floor?

also to check to see if fluid is leaking top the master cylinder up and pump the brake loads of times if it drops chances are you have a leak somewhere

OK cool.
The pedal will go to the floor if i press hard.
Its like, i brake and its good but then it goes soft, but if say i pumped the brakes so as to just keep catching that 1st bite.. it would be ok sort of thing. Hard to explain.
Air in the system would actually make sense.
In fact! a couple months ago it became really difficult to get a gear, so i checked the fluid (took me a while to figure out the brakes and clutch use the same reservoir). And it was low.. might of got air in then. But then why would it have gotten low? leak? haha I'll be having a good look tomorrow.

it might be a good idea to check all the pads while your at it

as the pads wear the fluid drops too

Seal in master cylinder is my guess. As you put your foot on the pedal you are getting some braking but not 100% as fluid is bypassing seal and with sustained pressure you will be able to compress pedal to floor.

Fixed... was brake pads. Was actually missing one! The pad fell off the plate. They wasnt looking as meaty as I first said either. Well. Lesson learned.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Fixed... was brake pads. Was actually missing one! The pad fell off the plate. They wasnt looking as meaty as I first said either. Well. Lesson learned.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Aha, that would do it!
What tends to happen is the pad seizes in the caliper and the piston flexes the brake pad causing the friction material to crack of worst case fall off!

What make are the pads? I presume aftermarket?

I would give your brakes a good service and change your discs as well.

Tom.

Not sure what make they was but theyre all changed now and my babys back on form.