1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes grinding

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by tibbs, Nov 8, 2005.

1. tibbs

tibbs Member

Anyone experiencing their brakes grinding when applied? It also gets worse at the rear brakes when reversing

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

How old is the car?

Have your worn through the disk pads? Are the disc rotors rusty?

4. tibbs

tibbs Member

It's only 6 months old with 11k mls on it, there appears to be loads left on the pads though

5. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

Been driving on any recently resurfaced roads recently? You have got one or more little stones caught between the disc back-plate and the disk

6. ianwoodall

ianwoodall New Member

My car has developed an intermittent squeak from one of the wheels when coasting to a halt with no brakes applied. My local stealer sent one of their monkeys out in the car with me and he agreed it was making a noise.

He put the car on a platform and spun the wheels, trying to replicate the noise but failed.

The final conclusion was that it might be a bit of grit making the noise(which wouldn't be covered by warranty), but it would cost me something like £140 to find out.

So I didn't bother, and it still squeaks. It's just another noise to go with the rattles and hums. I wonder when it'll go bang?

7. miketweed

miketweed Member

Try jet washing the wheels/brakes. Should shift any **** stuck in there. Build up of brake dust often squeaks (been driving like your gran?)