1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes grinding

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by tibbs, Nov 8, 2005.

1. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    Anyone experiencing their brakes grinding when applied? It also gets worse at the rear brakes when reversing
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    How old is the car?

Have your worn through the disk pads? Are the disc rotors rusty?
  4. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    It's only 6 months old with 11k mls on it, there appears to be loads left on the pads though
  5. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    Been driving on any recently resurfaced roads recently? You have got one or more little stones caught between the disc back-plate and the disk
  6. ianwoodall

ianwoodall New Member

[Nov 8, 2005]
    My car has developed an intermittent squeak from one of the wheels when coasting to a halt with no brakes applied. My local stealer sent one of their monkeys out in the car with me and he agreed it was making a noise.

He put the car on a platform and spun the wheels, trying to replicate the noise but failed.

The final conclusion was that it might be a bit of grit making the noise(which wouldn't be covered by warranty), but it would cost me something like £140 to find out.

So I didn't bother, and it still squeaks. It's just another noise to go with the rattles and hums. I wonder when it'll go bang?
  7. miketweed

miketweed Member

[Nov 9, 2005]
    Try jet washing the wheels/brakes. Should shift any **** stuck in there. Build up of brake dust often squeaks (been driving like your gran?)