1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brakes and clutch upgrade

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by youngdriver, Apr 14, 2004.

1. youngdriver

youngdriver New Member

[Apr 14, 2004]
    i want to upgrade brakes and clutch on a 1996 1.9tdi 110bhp. i am going to install a corrado or g60 clutch for about £100. is this ok? what brake pads and discs shall i get? shall i get S4 pads and discs?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 14, 2004]
    Um..why would you want to fit S4-spec brakes on a 1.9TDi?
  4. youngdriver

youngdriver New Member

[Apr 14, 2004]
    for better braking. or any other good brakes? reccomend me some good cheap brakes?
  5. jdp1962

[Apr 14, 2004]
    Cheap is not a good idea, when it comes to modifying the brakes. Cheap ones might be different but that doesn't mean they'll be better than what's on the car already. Genuinely good brakes cost a lot of money. The point is..do they really need modifying? This is not a high performance car. I've driven quite a few TDis & the brakes seemed pretty darned good to me as they were. If I'd test-driven a car on which I thought the brakes weren't up to the job, I wouldn't buy the car!
  6. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 16, 2004]
    If you read this thread on breaks it should help, I fitted what I regard as a budget option due to the current exchange rate.
    Link to break upgrade
  7. Patrick

Patrick Member

[Apr 17, 2004]
    Youngdriver,

Where are you posting from? It helps us give you the right advice when we know your details, car location etc.

First off. I don't understand why you want to upgrade the clutch and the brakes. Are you having trouble with either at the mo?

There is little point in fitting the S4 brakes if they will even fit a 110bhp dti while the larger diameter disks are more powerful, they are still not up to serious use.

8. jdp1962

[Apr 17, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Patrick said:
    Youngdriver,

Where are you posting from? It helps us give you the right advice when we know your details, car location etc.

First off. I don't understand why you want to upgrade the clutch and the brakes. Are you having trouble with either at the mo?

There is little point in fitting the S4 brakes if they will even fit a 110bhp dti while the larger diameter disks are more powerful, they are still not up to serious use.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly my point. If you've got money to spend on the car, you can spend it much more wisely than that!