1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake warning light

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by paul_devon, Dec 16, 2010.

1. paul_devon

paul_devon New Member

[Dec 16, 2010]
    When I start my '52 plate Audi A4 convertible 2.5 tdi, the brake warning symbol and buzzer show on my dash for a couple of seconds but then go out. This only happens if the car has sat for more than 5 hours without being started, or I have only done a short trip and the engine isn't very warm, and then start the engine again.

I have taken it to be looked at by the garage, but there are no fault codes stored, and upon inspection, there is nothing wrong with the brakes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? Surely if there was a problem, it would show on the dash for more than just a couple of seconds after the engine was started? I' confused and don't know where to turn next.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. bengal

bengal Member

[Dec 16, 2010]
    I saw a thread about this not long ago and it was the battery. It might sound daft showing the brake warning light when its the battery but i think its because the abs module is not getting enough power for a few seconds which throws the light up. I did have a problem with this on my a3 which was the connection to my battery panel but this was more consistent. I would get the battery and alternator checked out also cold weather kills a lot of car batteries.
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 16, 2010]
    It's exactly that, it's the first sign that your battery isn't all it could be. It will probably last a while longer yet, but it's an early warning.
  5. Mike B

Mike B Member

[Dec 16, 2010]
    Had this on my 2.5 TDI when purchased july 09 and found charging the battery and moving the lead which was pushing against the sensor under the brake fluid res has almost cured the fault .Another 2.5 TDI bought since did the same so a new battery was fitted but it still occasionally throws the warning so it may be worth trying plan A first as the cheaper option .I believe some say a relay is needed for 100% success
  6. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Dec 16, 2010]
    have a look at the break light switch,
  7. codemaster

codemaster New Member

[Dec 16, 2010]
    Hi i have a A6 TDI on a 51 plate and i have the same warning light and buzzer that comes and goes, i think it might be down to a loose conection as when the warning light comes on my off side brake light is out then the warning light goes out and the brake light works again so checking the bulb holder might throw some light on the problem.
  8. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 16, 2010]
    Go on..
  9. paul_devon

paul_devon New Member

[Dec 18, 2010]
    Thanks guys. I will try that tomorrow. A battery isn't something I would have considered for the problem, so very glad I asked.
  10. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Dec 19, 2010]
    I did, I had to fit a new one as the old one was causing all sorts of problems, Even caused the glow plug light to pop up and flicker on and off randomly,