1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Warning light, how long left?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Trigger, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Trigger

Trigger New Member

A few months ago during my MOT at my stealer it was noted that my pads needed changing all round, and also my front disks need replacing shortly, which i found strange regarding my disks as they were changed about 20000 miles ago when i first bought the car, do they need replacing that frequently?

However, last night my brake warning light has come on, the question i really need to know how long have i got left before the pads go completely, i have a service due @ 85000 in approx 1800 miles, will they hold out?

I'm also very skint this month, so cant get these done straight away, i'd maybe's be able to get them done at the back end of the month, you recon they'd last at least until then if they wont last 1800 miles?

I may also look at the possiblilty of a pal who is a jag/aston martin mechanic changing them for me, where is the best place to buy the parts? It's a 2003 1.8T A4 Convertible.
    Cheers
  2. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet

trigger,
    i wouldnt worry about them mate, when my light came on i checked the pads and there only just over half worn down, the same on my old saloon aswell.
    they will easily hold out for another 1800 miles till your service mate
  3. Marc1

Marc1 Member

This has just happened to me too. Pads seem ok, even the inner one (difficult to tell on the rear though, look low). Paranoid now though. Think the wire has snapped looking at it, don't know if that's normal or not.
  4. J7USS

J7USS Shuddup Foooool!!

Think when my warning came on I still had a 3rd of pad left - Audi Brake Tactics:motz:
  5. Xmay4444

Xmay4444 On Point!!

Just had all my pads done a last month, about a week after the light came on. I to had been told by Audi when i did my MoT in February that they would soon need changing.
    The inner pads in the front were virtually gone, so have a gooood look at all of them before yu decide to leave them till later.

PS i just couldn't stand that stupid warning light for long anyway.
  6. AndymacA4

AndymacA4 Member

When I changed the discs and pads on my A4 for 312mm jobs, the front pads were down to about 1/4 of the thickness of the new pads. The warning light hadn't come on at that point. As a rule of thumb, wear below 1/2 the original pad thickness is time to replace them. A set of pads should do 20-30 thousand miles with ease unless tracked or driven in a 'spirited' manner:eyebrows:

In short, you've got 1800 miles easy!

One thing to note, some pad manufacturers use quite hard sensor rods in their pads, if you leave it too long, the sensor rod can score the disc, which is bad!
  7. ronny

ronny Audi A4 1.8TQ

haha my light came on about a year ago and i had them changed last week, you might not belive this but I have not changed a set of pads on my car since i bought it, since then I have done over 160,000 miles, is this a record :)

I do mainly motorway miles, and have just clocked 210,000 on my b6 A4, still drives like a dream :)