Brake upgrade question

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Reaction score
Basically ive sourced some S4 facelift rear calipers and carriers (just need to sort payment out) and been in touch with trig for some brackets to do the 300mm rear upgrade now my question is could i run these with 312mm upfront until i source some B6 S4 calipers as i already sourced S4 uprights just need to pick them up oh and purchase some new alloys :) !! But cant justify staring at some calipers and brackets till i get the front calipers etc !!

Anyone ??

Will the rear 300mm setup fit under the rear wheels there 8j boleros ?? With the use of some spacers 20mm ??

im presuming so as the fronts are 312mm at the mo but i understand the rear disc have differant offset and calipers sit closer to the wheel spokes.

I had 312mm audi rs4 b5 rear brakes at some point, they only fitted under 18" alloy wheels with ET 35 offset. However the handbrake cables were too tight and took some persuation to get them on ! I would say to keep the distance from cars in front and avoid hard braking with brakes this big on the rear !

I would say to keep the distance from cars in front and avoid hard braking with brakes this big on the rear !

dont quite follow what you mean ?? You saying id have a poor braking impact with 312/300 or 345/300 due to the rears ???

arnt the RS4 rears 330mm ??

With brakes this big on the back of the car the rear tends to overtake the front ! You will also need to adjust the bias to rs4- only possible if your car has ESP ! I had b5 rs4 312mm rear brakes with 312mm front brakes for a while and i was afraid to go for a drive on motorway ! Swapped to 330 front 4 pot calipers and full geometry- had no more issues after !

My car doesnt have esp but iirc i think i read somewhere you can recode the abs ecu for this upgrade ???

ok may just leave them off till i get the 345mm fronts, B5QUAT had this setup on his old TQS and loved the setup (he didnt mention coding or the likes) hence why i want to do it lol oh and they looked the dogs danglies :) !!!

That's the problem, the ABS pump won't take new codding, i am trying to do the same to a c5 allroad tdi w reg, i have rs4 b7 front brakes and upgraded the rears to S8 280mm brakes- all plug and play, however the brakes are nowhere near as sharp as on me other c5 audi a6 running twice the power. On the a6 (fjtwelve old project car!) i have w8 passat rear brakes (280mm s8 discs and standard w8/s4 caliper carriers) and b6 s4 front brakes with grooved and drilled discs- no issues with stopping whatsoever ! Selling the front brakes so i can fit my old 4 pot ATE Power brake kit with 360mm discs and performance pads ! However i have ECS tuning caliper brackets which don't fit the ATE calipers so need to machine new brackets to fit the alloy uprights !

That's the problem, the ABS pump won't take new codding, i am trying to do the same to a c5 allroad tdi w reg, i have rs4 b7 front brakes and upgraded the rears to S8 280mm brakes- all plug and play, however the brakes are nowhere near as sharp as on me other c5 audi a6 running twice the power. On the a6 (fjtwelve old project car!) i have w8 passat rear brakes (280mm s8 discs and standard w8/s4 caliper carriers) and b6 s4 front brakes with grooved and drilled discs- no issues with stopping whatsoever ! Selling the front brakes so i can fit my old 4 pot ATE Power brake kit with 360mm discs and performance pads ! However i have ECS tuning caliper brackets which don't fit the ATE calipers so need to machine new brackets to fit the alloy uprights !

what you want for the front calipers and carriers out of interest ??

as for the rear hoses for the 300mm upgrade instead of new braided hoses could i use something like this ?? Im not good with thread sizes and an fittings so if its wrong could someone post the correct thread or an thread size id need cheers.

AN -10 90 Degree Male to Female Forged Adapter Black | eBay

I have run B5 RS4 fronts and B5 RS4 rears and then swapped the front out to B7 Fronts
Everyone will tell you that the master cylinder won't cope and the bias will be shot to hell and you will have poor modulation

Have to say I never had any of these problems.
The 8 pots up front modulate very well on a standard TQS MC. very little travel before engagement, decent amount of play to be soft on them or wham the pedal down to detach retinas!

only time I had bias issues was with an ABS code!

What about fitting a traditional bias valve? Then you could fit the big rears and tone them down a bit. However with big brakes and a lot of front bias they may be quite 'grabby' and the abs module may not be happy? Not sure if bias valves and ABS modules mix.

If your selling your 312 carriers I'd be interested.

ABS pump wouldnt play well with any sort of bias valve i wouldnt think.

Stock Facelift S4 rear calipers/disks dont fit under the standard boleros, you need about 3mm of spacing to get them on with new pads. 8J's might have a bit more space, but the 300mm conversion will push the caliper further out both towards the wheel, and radially. You might find they wont go.

ABS pump wouldnt play well with any sort of bias valve i wouldnt think.

Stock Facelift S4 rear calipers/disks dont fit under the standard boleros, you need about 3mm of spacing to get them on with new pads. 8J's might have a bit more space, but the 300mm conversion will push the caliper further out both towards the wheel, and radially. You might find they wont go.

yeah i found a pic on the net and the S4 calipers are bulky as hell compared to the stock TQS rears heres the thread i found -

Supercharged Audi and VW Forums -> 034 300mm S4 rear brake upgrade install

it does say that they will clear 17's on 034 and it cleared 2 of 3 sets of his 17" wheels to clear his 3rd set he had to shave of some off the calipers !!

get some proper wheels on then there are no issues!