Brake switch blows turbo A3 tdi

sparky208

Reaction score
my brake lights was staying on after locking the car a3 tdi 2005 also when driving on motorway sometimes go into limp mode no warnings on dash nothing . anyway so i change airmass and air filter thinking this is the cause . so i give it a bit of wellie . then turbo blows loads of smoke oil warning on dash holly crap i have murderd my car . turns out brake switch tells the brake servo to stop the turbo when you brake . so the brake switch is faulty iam giving it power and the servo is thinking iam braking bang goes the turbo any1 ever here of this. how crazzy is that :scared2:

Last edited by a moderator:
My brake switch has become a bit touch and go, IE when I'm out of the car it flashes the brake lights on and off sometimes. The other night the switch kept my brake lights on all night so the battery was flat in the morning, so i'm sorting a new switch out. I'm not convinced a faulty brake switch can lead to turbo failure.

:icon_thumright:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats new to me tbh, but the thought process seems a possibility, but surely when slowing down, the engine speed drops, the air flow drops thus the turbo spins down, so why would the brakes need to intervene at all with the turbo as it follows a natural course of actions.

BTW this isnt an english literature website, its a car forum, I read it 100% 1st go, completely legible, albeit no caps, not everyone's william shakespeare.

Thats new to me tbh, but the thought process seems a possibility, but surely when slowing down, the engine speed drops, the air flow drops thus the turbo spins down, so why would the brakes need to intervene at all with the turbo as it follows a natural course of actions.

BTW this isnt an english literature website, its a car forum, I read it 100% 1st go, completely legible, albeit no caps, not everyone's william shakespeare.
thank you sir . i dont no if this could have happend or not but this was the mechanic thereory . but is now fixed £680 all in that was for a recon turbo

Sounds like a caked turbo to me, vanes sticking & it just went pop coincidentally at the same tie as brake switch, anyway fixed now, but yet another turbo blown on the 8P potentially for the same fault as others, great design audi, nottttttttttt

Honeywell Garrett designed the turbo nothing to do with Audi and it`s fitted on many other makes of cars.

Honeywell Garrett designed the turbo nothing to do with Audi and it`s fitted on many other makes of cars.

He has done a crap job then...

There have been so many turbos blown (inc my own) its definitly got to be a design fault...

Audi didnt do all that good that job with the engines either with their porous heads, crappy Dual Mass flywheels and sticky throttle bodies either.

It's accross the whole 2.0 TDI range as a friend of mine popped his turbo on his golf (BKD) and unfortunalty, drove and parked up in a safe space (200 yards) and emptied the oil and knackering the bottom end so he had to fork out £2k for a low mileaged engine.

German build quality :keule:It's a shame as i have aways been a fan of vAG cars but the A3 put me off and made me want to try soemthing else hence the Japanese Type R which besides me thrashing it everyday (7800rpm in VTEC atleast 4/5 times a day), all its needed is a slave cylinder...

Last edited:
i must say when my turbo went within 100 yards my oil light came on i had oil in the boot i then stopped the car put oil in it tried to start the car it had locked up i thought its seized . it then started i had to drive it heavy snow i went for nearly 3 mile to the guy that was going to do a timing belt change for me he removed the turbo and the sump not a drop of oil in it put the recon turbo in it new oil and filter took it for a drive removed the sump again and replaced the oil and filter and i swear the car seems really well and there's 14000 on the clock and its remapped i have cained that car aim well chuffed good old audi :)

True, but a little effort helps your cause if your asking for help. We're certainly not all bards - I myself have a full head of hair :jester:

i must say when my turbo went within 100 yards my oil light came on i had oil in the boot i then stopped the car put oil in it tried to start the car it had locked up i thought its seized . it then started i had to drive it heavy snow i went for nearly 3 mile to the guy that was going to do a timing belt change for me he removed the turbo and the sump not a drop of oil in it put the recon turbo in it new oil and filter took it for a drive removed the sump again and replaced the oil and filter and i swear the car seems really well and there's 14000 on the clock and its remapped i have cained that car aim well chuffed good old audi :)

Good god, man.

I gave up trying to read that.

Yes indeed, we're 'not all Shakespeare', but a little effort to help people understand any information you may have is ALWAYS useful...

Keith

Good god, man.

I gave up trying to read that.

Yes indeed, we're 'not all Shakespeare', but a little effort to help people understand any information you may have is ALWAYS useful...

Keith
haven't you some shoplifting you should be doing instead of poking your jimmy nose in on my grammar. now feck ef

Damn it man can we put a stop on this rather childish play now, I'm no Moderator on here, but my advice is, Keith stop taking over Dave's role of Literature Professor as that is becoming boring now afterall its a car forum & Sparky no need for that kind of language is there, so leave it alone, as someone said to me once on here dont bite, but maybe take the hint if its not just 1 member making the same point, also I in the 1st instance did support you, but the 2nd time I have to say maybe some little punctuation would be nice to see just to split the post up a little, but by no means am I having a go at you, you understand.