brake squeal

firestorm

Reaction score
I have a problem with squealing brakes. This all started when I changed the pads from OE to EBC greenstuff. I have found the greenstuff pads very good, better than OE from cold to very hot and the dust doesn't seem to stick on the alloys like normal brake dust. But the big problem I've had is squealing with light, medium or heavy brake pedal pressure.

The rears come with self adhesive rubber pads, which seem to do a good job, but the fronts don't come with them.

I cleaned where the calipers and piston contact the pads and have used copper grease liberally on the pads and calipers. They were ok for a day. I have over a thousand miles on them now, so they should be worn in. The disks are OE and have just over 1mm wear on each side, say 2.5mm in total. They look in good condition. The OE brakes do not squeal at all.

Any one got any ideas ?

i have the same pads all round and had the squealing aswell.
i know they have a bedding in coating on them but that should of been worn away by now.
mine has stoped know though i had to do some hard braking from 70 (honest).
i find that they need warming quiet alot to get a response?

My OE pads squeal all the time and I'm about to replace them although I'm not sure on which type because I'm really skint at the mo. GSF quoted me £29 + vat for a pair of front pads which I think are Pagid. Are these really bad compared to OE ones of which the local stealer or VW both want £51 inc vat?

I've upgraded to Rossini vented/grooved discs and matched pads all round and while performance is great, they squeal loads too. dunno why! all have loads of life in them, only done about 2000 miles ago. ?

albgut
I've used pagid pads before - ok, but very, very dirty. OE are nearly as bad.

the cost of ebc greenstuff are similar to OE for mine, about £50 ish

I've fairly recently fitted new pads and discs (front and rear) to my A4.
Fitted Genuine items from my local VW dealer (go and ask for Passat items /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,saves paying rip-off Audi Centre prices..... ),who gave me a healthy discount, got them for about the same price as from GSF......
Pads are made by Textar and are silent.........